front axles

I have a mud racing truck. it has a 10 bolt 28 spline axles in the front and i started with the stock axles in it. I never replaced the universals in it i figured i would as they broke . Well i broke this week end and messed up the inner axel on the drivers side should i replace it with a stock axle or get an aftermarket one, and if so where should i look for it.

Reply to
Jwalk2475

Depends on what you are using it for. The 10 bolt housing itself is not that strong either and if you play hard you would do well to look for a D50 or D60. On a side note, if you can located the front axle out of a old full sized Jeep truck, they have heavier axle housing/tubes than one used in GM, Ford and Dodge 4x4's so a Jeep D44 is a bit sturier than a D44 used by others and also a D50 uses a D44 pig with heavier axle shafts and housing and if you get a Jeep D44 you may be able to fit D50 axles in it and have a stronger front axle. For what it is worth.

SnoMan

I read an article a while back about the D50. It seems there are a plethora of them in junkyards because there weren't any good aftermarket upgrades available. Apparently someone (ARB?) now makes a locker for a D50.

The article suggested much of what you said; that they are stronger than a 44, but because they aren't popular many junkyards will part with them for cheap. Same outside housing dimensions as a 60 from what I recall, 44-like innerds, which means the housing is actually thicker than a 44 or a 60. They showed a close up pic of the housing compared to a 44 or a 60...it was purdy damn stout.

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

The D50 is a much misunderstood axle. It has about 90% of the strength of a D60 in its axle shafts and has nearly the same housing strength too. Strength wise it is a big up grade over a D44 than a D60 is over a D50

SnoMan