fuel warning gauge seems to be giving out, 99 Silverado

Howdy folks,

99 Silverado 5.3 4x4

It looks like my fuel warning light has been freaking out lately. Once in a while, especially after a "top it off" fuel up, the light shows "LOW FUEL" and the gauge also shows empty. Only for maybe 30 seconds though, then it snaps out of it.

What gives? Thanks.

chris

Reply to
chris

sidewinder

Fuel Sending Unit, how many miles do you have on yer truck? the fuel pump is known to go at about 100K. my '99 5.3 4x4 does the same things you describe.. when I fill it up it shows low fuel and the guage reads nothing, then as i drive the guage slowly comes up to full then starts to fall normally with use. after the first of the year if it makes it i'm going to get a new fuel pump and sending unit. I already know the pump is having problems.. I have had it not start on me several times and when it does it I don't hear the fuel pump humming for 2 seconds b4 you turn the key. So at 95K on my truck I figure it's due, and It's under warranty. If you have a warranty and close to 100K miles you might do the same, pump and sending unit.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

What kind of extended warranty do you have? Just wondering as I am planning to buy one--probably the one from GM, but I'm receiving other offers in the mail.

Fuel Sending Unit, how many miles do you have on yer truck? the fuel pump is known to go at about 100K. my '99 5.3 4x4 does the same things you describe.. when I fill it up it shows low fuel and the guage reads nothing, then as i drive the guage slowly comes up to full then starts to fall normally with use. after the first of the year if it makes it i'm going to get a new fuel pump and sending unit. I already know the pump is having problems.. I have had it not start on me several times and when it does it I don't hear the fuel pump humming for 2 seconds b4 you turn the key. So at 95K on my truck I figure it's due, and It's under warranty. If you have a warranty and close to 100K miles you might do the same, pump and sending unit.

Adair

Reply to
Ann Meffert

I've always been against buying the extended warrantys. My reasoning is that they wouldn't sell them if the odds weren't in their favor.

But looks like it bit me in the ass here.

Turns out that I can live with this problem, at least until the pump gives out. I only have to wait a few miles after fill up for the sending unit to start reading correctly again.

Reply to
chris

The warranty for my truck is from CARS and it's a pretty decent warranty on paper. but when I finally used it I found out that they don't pay taxes or fluids. oh and also they don't pay for seals and gaskets unless you have to have it replaced when your getting to another part. bummer. my warranty is a

4yr unlimited milage warranty. My mom has one on her expedition from
and it's yet to be used so i can't tell you what they offer. and i don't know much about it.

whatever warranty you buy go through the policy with a fine tooth comb and make it covers everything you can think of. also make sure you it covers a pretty high shop labor rate (i.e. $65 an hour)

The way I look at extented warrantys is esp. when you are buying a used vehical and you can finance it in the the cost of the vehical is that that extra thousand isn't going to end up costing that much over the term of the vehical and so far the extended warrantys i've had have all paid for them selfs.. if not several times over. I believe it's money well spent most of the time.. oh and make sure that whatever company you go with is a national company.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Thanks. I know you have to really know what you're spending your money for. Wish GMC offered a 7yr/70,000 or better yet 10yr/100,000 miles but it won't happen in my lifetime!