99 Silverado, gas gauge going out

I know this is a common problem, but my gas gauge is freaking out. From this group I've determined it's the sending unit. When completely full, it marks empty. Sometimes it does this at start up too.

My local dealer (denver) said gas tank would have to be dropped and quoted me $900, so I left.

Just curious who has fixed this issue and what it cost you?

thanks.

chris

Reply to
chris

Apparently there is some kind of notice out from GM about this.

In Toronto, Ontario, GM claims there is a gasoline additive which causes the sending unit in the tank to go wonky. GM was replacing them under warranty then issued some kind of notice to forgive themselves on a batch of defective fuel sending units.

I don't remember all the details, sorry. Maybe somebody here remembers or has a link about this.

Cheers

Reply to
Wild Turkey