Gas prices too high!

How much is the postge on petrol? It might be cheaper for me to buy it mail order from the US!

Reply to
Simes

Yeah but how many miles do you put on your vehicle each week. You can probably drive from one coast to the other for what many of us drive to work each day. How far is the daily commute in England?

Reply to
Jim Smith

True enough - I do only around 600 miles per week commuting - plus trips out, shopping etc - so I average around 45,000 per year. I think that's higher than average though - in the UK I believe 16000 per year is considered the average.

Reply to
Simes

Comparison of gas prices between different countries is meaningless due to taxes and how they are allocated to the government. Say in GB the gas tax may be used to pay for 'national health care' (as an example, please) and not necessarily for transportation related expenditures.

And California has the highest gas prices because the people in California continue to VOTE for higher gas prices. They choose to pay more, so that they can think of themselves as better than any of the other states.

Hawaii pays a lot because they import their gas from... California!

Reply to
PeterD

Per PeterD:

Dunno about the people being better (except they seem more consistently better educated at the high-school level) but the few roads I've driven there are head-and-shoulders above Southeastern Penna's - which look more like some third-world country's.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Do they use salt on Penna's roads? They totally trash Mich's. Bet they don't use it on Cal's roads.

Reply to
syoung

Per syoung:

They do.

But the repairs are sooooo bad. Guys just shovel a bunch of mix into a hole until there's a lump, then they pat it down and move on. Usually leaves a 2-3" bump in the end.

And when utility companies tear up the road, it's never even close to what it was before they started working on it. If you or I did what I've seen utility companies do on a regular basis, we'd be arrested for vandalism.

And don't get me started on the so-called 'white lines'..... -)

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

So does Northern Nevada - and guess what? Our prices are ridiculously high, also! Even though gas taxes here are relatively low, go figure.

Reply to
Ron Hinds

It must have been a while since you drove on a California road. They're getting pretty bad, too. Although I must admit they aren't as bad as SE PA ;-) It's amazing though the difference here in Nevada - cross the state line and it's like night and day.

Reply to
Ron Hinds

PeterD proclaimed:

California has high gas prices because voters here have a difficult time making the connection between kicking out the refineries and the cost of trucking or piping in fuel.

The prices are about 50 cents per gallon higher, than say Colorado even though Colorado has higher state taxes per gallon by about 4 cents.

Reply to
Lon

(PeteCresswell) proclaimed:

Oh yuck. Remind me not to head that far east. You can tell exactly where the state line between California and Nevada is by just listening for the increased road noise and the sound of your suspension being beat to heck as you enter California.

Reply to
Lon