Gas prices too high!

[ Article reposted from rec.autos.4x4 ] [ Author was Caerus ] [ Posted on Sat, 1 Oct 2005 02:28:17 +0000 (UTC) ]

The gas prices are too high here, we are paying $2.99 a gallon here in the Bay Area for regular 87. So bad, I recently sold my beloved '97 2dr Tahoe Sport for a smaller Pontiac. When will this end?

I will return to the 4x4 era when Chevy build a hybrid, most likely Ford will first.

Reply to
Caerus

Do not hold your breath waiting for it to end, it will never be below $2/a gallon again and I look for it to be $4/gallon in a year or two unless people drastically cut back on its usage

-----------------

TheSnoMan

Per Caerus:

My Take:

--------------------------------------------------------- We may see temporary lulls, but the overall movement is going to be towards five-dollar-per-gallon gasoline.

With China and India growing the energy-intensive portions of their economies, it's only going to get worse long-term. Same supply, more demand.

And don't forget inflation. With a trillion-dollar deficit looming, I'd say significant increases in inflation are just over the horizon. If you're retired or on some other fixed income, that's gonna be the *real* ball breaker.

(PeteCresswell)

Reply to
Martin Riddle

We may see temporary lulls, but the overall movement is going to be towards five-dollar-per-gallon gasoline.

With China and India growing the energy-intensive portions of their economies, it's only going to get worse long-term. Same supply, more demand.

I'm not buying that china and India are the reasons for the high prices. how can someone making $8.00 a day afford $3.00 a gallon gas for anything including a pos scooter?

Reply to
David Norris

It's not the individual Chinese/Indian citizen that is consuming the *OIL* but the Chinese/Indian industry. China has had production interests in the Middle East for a few years now in anticipation of their growing thirst for the black gold. If China is unable to supply oil to its expanding industrial might, there will be even more global unrest and instability as it (China) seeks/acquires/annexes what it needs. 'Tis history repeating itself.

Franko

going to be towards

of their

demand.

the high prices.

gas for

Reply to
Franko

Reply to
Jeannie Smith

in raleigh i have seen it as cheap as 3.00 a gallon and high as 3.69 a gallon funny how one place is so cheap but not 5 miles down the road u can get it cheaper by 50 cents. i know that the big chain places can sell it cheaper, while the ma and pa places as i call them have to pay more and charge more for the same product

Reply to
Charles H.

opsss meant raleigh n.c in last response. sorry

Reply to
Charles H.

Ford already makes a 4x4 hybrid, you should have done your homework before you bought the Pontiac...

Reply to
Lance LaFrinier

Per David Norris:

They're not all making $8.00 per day. There's a whole class of people over there that graduated from college just as the government went free enterprise and a significant number of them are making more money that you or I ever dreamed of.

And not all that oil is going into cars. Industry and construction are big users.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Hybrid 4x4 is hype and little more. You need to get the weight out of the SUV, not add more to it and extra complexity and more to go wrong.

-----------------

TheSnoMan

Where I live, gasoline is now $4.47/gallon, and minimum wage is $3.16 per day. No wonder there were violent street protests in the major cities last week. Yet consumption has not diminished very much. Why? Because when you're that poor, you _have_ to get to work.

Reply to
Warren Post

Caerus ( snipped-for-privacy@borg.ucsf.edu) wrote: : : [ Article reposted from rec.autos.4x4 ] : [ Author was Caerus ] : [ Posted on Sat, 1 Oct 2005 02:28:17 +0000 (UTC) ] : : The gas prices are too high here, we are paying $2.99 a gallon : here in the Bay Area for regular 87. So bad, I recently sold : my beloved '97 2dr Tahoe Sport for a smaller Pontiac. When : will this end? : : I will return to the 4x4 era when Chevy build a hybrid, most : likely Ford will first. : :

Wednesday, October 5, 2005

Gas may hit $4 by year-end

Caerus

OK- time for a thread on mileage and 4x4s. Lets have ideas!

Lots of us are feeling the pinch since we actually need a four wheel drive vehicle for our work. Natural resource and environmental businesses -like mine- are especially feeling it. I've got a 220 mile (both ways) highway drive I take twice a week, with logging roads and river bars that have to be crossed once I'm at the work site. When it rains, such as now, rivers rise and some clearance is needed. Likewise when it snows or when you have to cross a water barred road. The most ideal vehicle I've seen - however imaginary - is a Subaru forester with another 3-4 inches of height and a place to carry a saw and shovel. Mileage is bearable. Vehicle's a bit small and too civilized inside for wet dirty clothes.

Currently driving a full size Bronco which is excellent in all respects but mileage. The last capable compact 4x4's I'm aware of were the Samarais. Diesel conversions? Doesn't seem to be possible for the Ford. Nissan X-Trail seems good but isn't imported into the US.

Reply to
Mike H

I know gas prices are high,and that stinks.Did you ever figure how long it would take to break even after buying another car? The price and Ins? You think your saving money,but your really not.

Reply to
Bill

Just pat yourselves on the back and thank the Lord that you are not (like me) paying UK prices - 95 pence a LITRE for 95 RON unleaded (I think that equates to 93 Octane on your way of measuring it) - that's about $7.25 per US gallon!

How much are you paying?

Reply to
Simes

Per Simes:

$2.59 last fill up with 87 octane. Southern New Jersey (USA).

Southeastern Penna it's about 20 cents higher bco taxes.

Aside from Hawaii, California seems to have the highest prices in the USA.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

How much of that is tax. I can't cite a reference, but I've read that though we pay less in the US, if you subtract the tax we pay a little more for the fuel itself.

Reply to
jrk

I believe that without tax the price of the fuel is the cheapest in Europe and the fuel companies make the least profit on UK fuel sales - I understand the base price is around 12 pence per litre - around a dollar a gallon.

That's why in the UK now just about all garages are also supermarkets and/or shops of one sort or another. You can't buy a bloody set of spark plugs or a fan belt in a garage, but you can buy bread and pasta.

Reply to
Simes