Help us decide on make/model to buy

I am looking for a replacement for a Windstar van. We like to go camping, so it needs to be large enough for two adults and two large teens, plus big tent and luggage. I am thinking something like a Chevy Blazer or Suburban....but ideally it should be manual transmission and deisel. I think they are both usually auto trans/non-deisel gas-guzzlers. Can you get either of those models with manual shift and deisel engine? We are not talking a new car here, an older model that would be say, $6000 or so. We like the extended cab trucks, but with the more reliable and economical deisel engines, they may be priced out of our range, unless it is a run-down one with 300K miles on it. I'd consider a deisel truck (if good on mileage) if it had around 200K miles on it, but probably not if it had

300K miles. Thanks for your input.
Reply to
Jim Caldwell

Older Suburbans are available with a diesel up to the new body style, but I think you will be hard pressed to find a standard tranny.

A bit of advice that I have stated in the past: don't get a diesel just for the better mileage and cheaper fuel costs because it will take LOTS of fill-ups to make up the difference in price of repair parts if needed. If you are looking for longevity and torque, then you're in. A few simple mods over stock and you will be pleased. Stock, you may be displeased if comparing to a 454, but you'll still out pull a powersmoke :-)

See

for comments if you're serious about a diesel. Keep in mind, if you own a diesel, you had better plan to drive it like one if you want it to last. Otherwise, put your money into a gasser instead. Count on an added 5-10 minutes minumum to ANY trip you make for warm up/cool down time.

I really like mine, though! '95 K2500HHD 6.5 TD

Reply to
Snowman

Gee, you should be able to find a nice used truck for 6,000. Blue book on a 92 is only about that. Be aware that many of the deisels (and gas trucks for that matter) have been used to haul trailors, so get the rear end checked out.

Reply to
Rick