Is the V40 a good buy?

We are switching our 240 and are seriously looking at a 2001 V40. Our priority need is space (for two adults, two children and cargo). Then security and gas economy/emission come as close second concerns, followed by life expectancy of the car. We need advices or comments from current V40 owners. Is the car up to your expectations? Will it hold all the cargo we need for, say, a camping trip? Is it more than a small luxury car (I'm sorry to say that I don't recognize myself in the post-2001 Volvo line of trendy, luxury cars)? A 1999 or 2000 V70 would also be within our reach, but we decided it was too big and too gas-consuming.

We also looked at the 2004 Toyota Matrix which would also suit our needs and cost us about 6,000$CAN less. It is a completely different type of car, but the driving pleasure is there, and if we consider our priorities, we have a hard time making a choice.

We are curious to know what people out there have to say...

Thanks,

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Bouchard

Hi!

Hmm... four people and cargo... if you want to load some bigger stuff like Mountainbikes or so... i think we will sell our V40 ( an 1997/140 hp ) and get an V70... it is easier to handle the stuff our Kids wantet to take with them... The Engine is even to small for this heavy tool, my wifes Company-Car is an V40 2.0 turbo with 165 hp, and that one is much better to drive, especialy in the Mountains or with a trailer behind.

Greets,

Klaus

Germany

Richard Bouchard wrote: