Info on 1990 Suburban 4x4 454ci

I am planning on buying a very clean, low mileage, 1990 Suburban, =BE ton, 4x4 454ci, other then usual towing stuff and gas mileage. I have a few questions, opinions on TBI 454, what changed in 1992? Was it the frame and are there any major benefits after 1992? Is the Chevy Suburban a K2500? What is a V2500 a GMC? I have been looking up after market mufflers for this model and there seems to little info on the model with the big block.

Reply to
cabopeter

1991 was the last of the old breed of burbs that were tuff old critters. (I have a 89 4x4 burb) In 92 they when to a new chassis and a more car like design and cheapened up some of the parts. Your 90 in question has solid live axle front and rear and real lockout hubs that completely disengage the front axle in 2wd unlike the newer one that the front axle shafts are always driven by the wheels. The 4x4 drive system in that burb is very durable and easy to work one and can roll many miles with little effort. It should have a THM400 which is legedary in strenght and durabilty. I have 175K on mine that I bought new and it is still pretty cherry and I have no plans for its retirement or replacement. It is not used as a daily commuter these day but as a travel vehicle and has seen more than a dozen trip cross country and across the rockies carried use safely in tempatures from minus 40 to 107 above without failure and NEVER required repairs on any of its many trips. It has been up pike peak 2 times and thru yellowstone, Glacier nation park and Rocky mountain park several times. It was last in CO in 2003 and I am planning a trip with it in 06 to CO and WY from ohio. If you found a clean one with a 454, you really have a rare find and grab it as it is well worth it. Those old model burbs were real tanks.
Reply to
TheSnoMan

'92 was the first year Suburbans that was new body style and IFS. The '90

3/4T 454 4x4 is many times better of a truck than the '92 and later. MUCH cheaper to repair and maintain. Stronger, better handling, better riding(if the springs and shocks are in good shape), MUCH cheaper to lift(either a little or allot)...Just an all around better Vehicle. Depending on its history, you might have to chase rust in the rockers, quarters, and the area where the tailgate or cargo doors meet the floor. Most rust can be repaired with parts from LMC or JCWhitney. The TBI 454 is not all what it could be. It still has enough bottom end to move the 3Ton beast plus a huge pull behind camper or big boat. With a set of heads, mild cam, headers, , some intake and TBI upgrades, and a 3-4 inch single exhaust system, ALLOT of HP and TQ would be unleashed.

Check the chassis, underbody, trans fluid, and drivability good.

Reply to
Shades

Reply to
cabopeter

The reason you will not find much is because of most of a C/K trucks being built on new chassis in 88 on. (the burbs were R/V with R for 2wd and V for 4wd) Also, 454's respond well to improved exhaust amd even a

3> Thanks Guys you are starting to fill in the blanks on this year of
Reply to
TheSnoMan