it's rebuilt???

Ok, just found a tag on my 454 saying that it was remanufactured for general motors....of course I wasn't told this when I bought the truck, only noticed it when I was wiping down what I could get to with the oil filter off. I guess for now I look on the bright side that maybe it's a low mileage engine(i know wishful thinking).

Anyway, the serial # on it is 14464 and the date just has J a big space then a 1. Is there any way to figure out when this sucker was built? I'm starting to wonder if the mileage was tampered with too.... always wondered about that.. cuz the 1 in the hundreds spot is kinda darker than the rest of the numbers.

I guess that's what I get for buying the truck from a used car dealer in jersey...

Anyway I'll quit my rant here since the next beer is callin........ If anyone knows where I can find this, I'd appreciate it.

Reply to
89GMC

If the engine doesn't use a lot of oil and performs OK then I'd say it's a major plus. Would you rather have the origioal 1989 engine in there? And if it was rebuit "for GM" then I guess the dealer replaced it so you probably have a high quality rebuild there. Have another beer to celebrate your good fortune.

Reply to
brianorion