Poor Fuel Ecomomy

Hi,     Looking for a little help/advice. 1995 Blazer 4X4 4.3L, 114,000 miles. 3.42 rear end gears. Recently purchased with 110,500 miles. Only
getting 13 to 14.5 mpg around town. I checked almost every tankful of fuel( miles driven divided gallons used). It runs good now after all the repairs I have made (See list below). Am i wrong to think it should be getting better mpg's. I don't have a really heavy foot either. I did a compression test before I bought it, All cyl's between 135 and 150 PSI. It used about 1/2 qt. oil between its 3,000 mi. oil change. Never really had it on the highway for more than 40 or 50 miles on a tankful to give a accurate Hwy. figure. No DTC's set. Here's what I've done to it so far. 1) New plugs,wires,cap and rotor. All AC Delco 2) New air filter 3) New Fuel Pump (because it died) 4) New 195 degree t-stat (just because) 5) New Central MFI AC Delco (it was leaking) 6) New O2 sensor 7) New exhaust sys. from cat back (muffler rotten) Thanks In Advance Larry

That may not be out of line for winter driving, depending on where you live, how heavy your traffic is, how long your trips are. If it is a cold climate and you don't drive more than about four or five miles at a time, the engine barely gets warmed up. If you drive 40 or 50 miles each time you warm it up you might get up to 16 or 17 unless you have a lot of stop and go traffic.
I've been getting the same MPG'S since i bought it in June, All summer long AC on or off Warm or cold makes no difference.
Lary
ABC wrote:

My 88 manual S10 never got more than that. For a little pussy truck they sure get shitty gas mileage. My full sized Jimmy get's the same mileage, has room, looks, and a set of nuts. I say go full size, all mini-trucks are an electrical nightmare, cramped, crappy fuel mileage, and look like shit. Bad news.
GMC Gremlin Grumpy Mean Cracker

I happen to like my little "pussy truck". If I wanted a full size truck I would have purchased another Yukon to match the one I already own. I was looking for a Suggestion on improving the fuel economy. Not a suggestion on what you think I should be driving.
Larry
GMC Gremlin wrote:

I'm sorry.

match the one I already own.
Mini van, same room but better gas millage for whatever reason.

My suggestion to improve your fuel economy is to not buy a truck, or not buy a mini-truck. Sorry, I didn't think my suggestion was hard to read. This also means that I feel you are getting the proper fuel mileage.
GMC Gremlin
GMC Gremlin wrote:

This is why Im shopping around for an alternative. but its hard when you grow accustom to having the truck available. Im always moving something with it. Guess I could just sell the truck, get an older one for $1000, park it on the side of the house, so its there when I need it, and I can get a different daily driver.
GMC Gremlin wrote:

OK

Already own a Astro van , Don't need 2 of them either.

I think the Blazer should be getting better MPG'S than it does. My yukon (5.7L) Gets 16 around town , 20 on the highway. The Astro is about the 15 to 16 around town, And 20 to 21 on the highway.
Larry

Again, this is a "mini". It ISNOT a mini-van, it gets the same millage as a true van but is just smaller.

What you just said supports what I said - mini trucks suck, either go big and get the same mileage, or go small (mitsu/honda/MINIVAN) and get better mileage. Just don't go mini.
GMC Gremlin
Was a new fuel pressure regulator part of the Central MFI and did you change the fuel filter? Might want to put a new PCV in it too. A fuel pressure test may be in order and inspect the lines for kinks

Yes the regulator was part of the central MFI, and I did change the fuel filter. Fuel pressure was 58 psi after I changed the fuel pump and pulsator. Yeah it's probably due for a PCV, but i don't think it has anything to do with the poor mileage.
Thanks Larry
Jeremy Bomkamp wrote:

My daily commuter to the train station is a 1990 Ford Ranger 4.0L V-6, 3.55 rear end. I've owned this truck for almost 10 years (bought it from my father-in-law). I don't drive that much, as I only have 105,000 miles on it. It is well maintained and is immaculate.
I routinely get 13.5-15 mpg with around town and a little freeway driving. When I go on the freeway for a long trip, I've gotten 16-17 mpg. But that's it.
My father-in-law was a career mechanic, and he couldn't get any better mileage with it before I bought it. So I've learned to live with it.
My wife's 1999 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 with the 7.4L engine gets about 10 mpg overall. But it carries all our gear and tows our trailer. So I live with the crappy gas mileage.
I think you've done everything you can--you may just have to live with the poor mpg.
Mark
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------090104000704030904070901 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
One last thing, check to see if the cat converter is clogged. I get 17 MPG with 98 Jimmy, same engine but lower rear end ratio so I should be getting a bit less MPG. Old thread on this group indicated that is normal. My mileage is combined driving, trip computer shows 21 MPG on open flat highway, drops down in traffic; so you can see what an impact stop & go city or traffic driving have on MPG.

--------------090104000704030904070901 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
the 96 4x4 jimmy we had would get 16 around town & 22 on the road & one time we drove a long ways @ 60mph & got 24.5 which is the same as my 94 astro has gotten @ the same speed. on the 94 I bumped the timing alittle