Common Chevy 1500 problems between 130k and 150k?

Just curious if there are some common problems that pop up with Silverados between 130k and 150k.

The reason I ask is because I am getting ready to take a long trip (5000+ miles round-trip) and my 2000 Chevy Silverado (4.3l V6) is just shy of 130k. I've performed all regular maintenance (oil changes, coolant system flush at 100k, good tires, spark plugs) and haven't had any big issues. The one thing I haven't done is change the transmission fluid, but from what I read here, if you haven't done it by 60k, then don't do it at all.

I just want to be proactive in looking for any potential problem areas, so I don't find myself stranded in the middle of the Arizona or New Mexico deserts :)

Reply to
bravodelta73

"" wrote: > Just curious if there are some common problems that pop up > with > Silverados between 130k and 150k. > > The reason I ask is because I am getting ready to take a long > trip > (5000+ miles round-trip) and my 2000 Chevy Silverado (4.3l V6) > is just > shy of 130k. I've performed all regular maintenance (oil > changes, > coolant system flush at 100k, good tires, spark plugs) and > haven't had > any big issues. The one thing I haven't done is change the > transmission fluid, but from what I read here, if you haven't > done it > by 60k, then don't do it at all. > > I just want to be proactive in looking for any potential > problem areas, > so I don't find myself stranded in the middle of the Arizona > or New > Mexico deserts :)

I the fuel pump die in my 1993 Chevy 1500 (4.3l V6) at almost exactly

140k miles. One of my friends had the same happen in his truck (also a 4.3l V6) at about the same mileage.
Reply to
cyclone

"" wrote: > Just curious if there are some common problems that pop up > with > Silverados between 130k and 150k. > > The reason I ask is because I am getting ready to take a long > trip > (5000+ miles round-trip) and my 2000 Chevy Silverado (4.3l V6) > is just > shy of 130k. I've performed all regular maintenance (oil > changes, > coolant system flush at 100k, good tires, spark plugs) and > haven't had > any big issues. The one thing I haven't done is change the > transmission fluid, but from what I read here, if you haven't > done it > by 60k, then don't do it at all. > > I just want to be proactive in looking for any potential > problem areas, > so I don't find myself stranded in the middle of the Arizona > or New > Mexico deserts :)

I don?t have much experience with the V6, but I have seen several of these trucks with v8 run 200,000 miles, and no pattern of failures, except maybe the fuel pump. it seems that most of these are replaced before 200,000. I just purchased a repo 2000 Sierra, 4x4, 4.7? v8 with 138,000 miles. It had not been taken care of, and not maintained. The only problems was a lower ball joint, door hinge, and of course, the intermediate shaft(in case you dont know, a steering shaft that causes noise/bumps, not a cause for break down). So my suggestions for long trips in hot areas is to be critical on hoses, belts and tires. If the fuel pump is really loud, I might over react and replace it, but otherwise just look for basic maintenance problems.

Reply to
HuntinTruck