poor gas mileage

I have a 2005 gmc crew cab z71. I have a 26 gallon tank and I am only getting 290 miles off of a tank of gas is this right? I know other guys who are getting 350 to 400 miles off of their tanks. I checked air filter and most common things. I have 60k miles on the truck and I drive with a light foot. Thanks

Reply to
wmiller2502

It makes a Difference of WHERE u Buy your Gas..

if I buy Gas from Shell I get 21 mpg with my old 1989 S 10 .( around

200,000 miles on it)
.Believe it or Not But if I buy Gas from 7/11 and it is CITGO Brand , I get 24 Mpg..

Same thing is true with My Daughters 2005 Jeep. 3 mpg Average difference .

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
tom

What the terminals do when a tanker fills up:

They turn a key, and they get the additive, for their specific brand.

So CITGO, even though I hate Hugo Chavez, they have a better additive package then Shell does.

BP, Mobil and Exxon are good gasolines.

Reply to
Refinish King

You don't say what your actual MPG is, nor what engine you have, but assuming you run to a near empty tank, you're getting around 11 MPG, which does sound low (heck even my Dodge gets better than that, but not by much). What are your actual MPG numbers, and how heavy is your left foot?

Reply to
Ed H.

Er, that's "how heavy is your right foot?" I'm a little dyslexic.

Reply to
Ed H.

Corn? :-)

Reply to
nonsense

I have the 5.3 v8 and I am not much on driving fast. I drive pretty normal. Also at 70 mph I am turning 2200 rpms, Is this right?

Reply to
wmiller2502

I'd bet the 4wd gears are what is hurting you. I had a 5.3l with 3.43 gears, and 70mph was 1750 to 1800 rpm.

2000 rpm was closer to 80. I was getting closer to 20 to 21 mpg.

Reply to
Bill

I have a 99 Silvy 4wd with the 5.3l and I get better milage then that, around 15 in town, BUT you have a crew cab and it wieghts more then the ext cab, plus I don't think the 05 is areodynamic. Isn't this the timeframe when they started changing the body style to the squared off front end again? When is the last time you had a service performed? That is going to hurt you some, dirty filter, etc..

Reply to
azwiley1

I concur. I can NOT get any mileage out of Shell gasoline. Even when I had my Jaguar that required premium, I avoided "V-Power" like the plague!

Mark '01 Blazer LT

Reply to
Mark E. Bye

Reply to
Ed H.

christ, a little info on motor would be nice

Reply to
Picasso

what hte heck do you mean "Service".... You can service whatever you want and not gain 10mpg

Reply to
Picasso

Whatever, thanks for your input.

Reply to
azwiley1

Overdrive, that is a good point. Can you feel it shift through all the gears into OD?

Reply to
Bill

No shit?? Maybe by service he meant a set of plugs/ wires or perhaps he has leaves in his air cleaner housing. Maybe he has real aggresive tires on it. Who knows? The op doesn't give any info.

Reply to
Roy

I'm not sure I follow your statement. The OP is asking about a difference of 37% max (290 miles vs. 400 miles on a 26 gallon tank), not the almost

100% increase you suggest with a 10 mpg gain. Of course it would be helpful to know what the actual MPG is, rather than the range on a "tank" of gas.

To snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com, have you calculated your actual MPG, of do you just fill up when the gas gauge indicates you are low and compare how far you have driven since the last fill up? It may be something as simple as the gauge indicates low when you have several gallons left. From your post of MPH vs. RPM it sounds like your OD may not be engaging, which I don't think would account for the kind of MPG loss you claim, but real world MPG numbers may tell a different story.

Reply to
Ed H.

Ok, I have stock tires on the truck and I only know that when I fill up the truck, it will take 23 to 24 gallons and I am getting around

290 miles from it. It may be normal. I was just asking if it is. I am certain that I should be turning less rpm's then 2200 at 70 mph. The truck is all stock. I just bought the truck (used) with 60k miles. Gm said they did a complete "sevice / checkup" before the truck hit the used lot. So I am assuming that they checked the filters, oil , etc .
Reply to
wmiller2502

Also, when I press the overdrive button, the enginge does not increase in rpms like my old ford. A Gm mechanic said that is perfectly normal for it to not increase rpms. But I don't know.How many gears should I go through before i hit overdrive?

Reply to
wmiller2502

always Remember, Some people Will Tell u anything, Especially what Gas milage they are Getting.. They may be getting less than what you are , but Donnot want to admit it and Then they Tell u they Get better MPG than you do.

Reply to
tom