01 MAX SE gas mileage?

I have a 2001 max SE with a 5 speed tranny. I was wondering what people are getting for gas mileage on this or similar cars. I'm getting barely 350 per tank. I'm using nothing but premium gas (93 octane out here in RI). and I don't use the AC all that much. being in new england I only use AC about 2 or 3 months out of the year. I change the oil regularly at 3k. so, firt off, should I be getting better gas mileage than this? I figured I'd be getting about 400 per tank with this. and with gas prices the way they are, I don't wanna start using mid grade or *gasp* regular in this car. would a fuel system treatment possibly help? or are they just a waste of money? thanks for your help

-Slick Nick

Reply to
habibe99

What are you getting per gallon (do you goto the absolute bottom of the tank to fill up, almost to the light, etc)? I have a 96 Maxima manual, and I get about 20 a gallon, or ~280 to a "fill up" (usually right before the light comes on, about 13.5 gallons). I have a heavy right foot and bad o2 sensors, so I guess most people are getting better mileage then I am. I am not sure how big the gas tank on a 5th gen is, but 350 is a pretty decent number, especially if you're doing mixed hwy/city.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

I rarely get over 350 per tank (around 23 mpg usually with lots of highway). I've gotten around 26 mpg, but that's a rare occasion. Mine's an automatic

2001 SE. Don't complain......Cars with this much power 30 yrs ago got 8-10 mpg.

Bob

Reply to
Bob G.

I get about 24.5 mpg. I can get 400 miles per tank but when I do the light is on and I'm nervously looking for a gas station.

I seem to remember making it to 400 quite easily when the car was newer (2k Max SE w/120K miles) but, I also got about the same 24.5 mpg. Maybe the fuel gauge has become less accurate and shows empty sooner? Is this possible?

-pj

Reply to
incabloc

I recently bought a 2001 Max GLE with 34k,and have been checking my mileage closely. I also use only 92 octane gas and have been getting 19 mpg. I also have a 94 Max gxe with 150k that gets 25 mpg.Both cars are automatic.So you see it CAN be worse,hehe.Glad to help.

Tony C.

Reply to
Tony Deb

I have a 2K GLE. I log my fuel usage at each fill and plot the results so I can see the variations in fuel economy. It does vary quite a bit from lows in the 16-18mpg range to highs above 30. Having said that, I average about

22 on the short city trips I take to work and about 26-29 on the highway. I've actually followed all the arguments about octane level and tested it myself. I can't see any significant effect of octane on mileage when I plot the results so I stick to what's cheapest. I also can't feel an effect on performance. However the performance issue is subjective and the mileage, although objective, is a function of the way I drive and the type of trip. As a result I use the cheapest fuel in the city because I live in MD where its expensive. Then if I'm on a trip, generally in VA, I use a higher octane, not because it gives better mileage or performance that I can discern, but just because its so much cheaper and I get a good feeling doing it. I imagine that if I lived somewhere where fuel was cheaper I'd always opt for the cheapest because premium would always seem costly to me.

By the way I did have a pinging problem but that was eventually traced to the bad coil problem (see the service bulletin). Since the replacement there has been absolutely no pinging, I believe the Max electronics handle the octane variations very well.

Reply to
G&B Bonnin