Replace 305tbi with 350carb?

I have an 88 fs 1500 with a 305 with tbi. Is it possible/practical to replace it with a 70s 350 carbed engine? If so, do you just throw out the computer?

-----------------

- *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road

-----------------

Reply to
Dan

It takes a bypass fuel pressure regulator and if you have an Auto trans, you will need an aftermarket controller to run the lock-up. OR, you can use the long block 350 and modify the center bolt holes on the TBI intake to fit the carb heads. Possible? Yes! Practical? Depends on your abilities, tools, time, money...

If you do the swap using the carb, PLEASE let me know!!! I would like some things off the 305TBI... Basically the heads to the TBI...

Reply to
Shades

Shades,

You want a set of 305 TBI heads? I might have a set for you in the near future if yer' interested.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks for the response! I don't think I'll do this. I >might< have someone else do this, for the right price. BTW it's an automatic.

The reason I'm considering this is that it has 2 cracked heads and a badly leaking rear seal. Also it doesn't have much power. So I guess I'll wait until I can find a tbi 350 at a good price.

Thanks again!

"Shades" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rapidnet.com:

-----------------

- *Completion*Retention*Speed* Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road

-----------------

Reply to
Dan

SWEET, Doc. That would be awesome. I want them to see if I can get more compression and bottom end out of my '88 350. I figure the heads are bad cuz no matter what I do the thing runs the same. E-Mail me when your ready...just replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .

Reply to
Shades

Shades,

You do NOT want 305 heads on a 350. Yes, it will raise the compression big time, but they have tiny valves and not enough flow to support a 350 CID.

If you want 30-40 more HP, buy a set of Iron Vortec heads ($500 for the pair) and a GMPP Vortec/TBI intake manifold as the old intake won't bolt up to the Vortec heads.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

get a set of Vortec heads off a '96 up 1/2 ton truck (3/4 and up got a slightly different set of heads that don't flow as well, due to differences in the exhaust seat), a vortec compatible intake w/ a TBI to spreadbore adapter (early 454 TBI motors had them) or the GMPP TBI for vortec manifold. and you'll be up about 40hp on a standard 350 TBI for about the same money as a used TBI motor.

changing the rear main isn't all that hard if you've got the time and tools to do it.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

damn I just said the *exact* same thing to a different post.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I know the valves would be too small for the 350, that's why I would have 'em opened up for a set of 1.94/1.60 valves. I want the small chambers and intake runners for more bottom end Torque.

Reply to
Shades

Okey doke bud, just wanted to give you the heads up! How soon do you need them?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Great minds think alike my friend! You ever get those Afterburner headers?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

not yet... still trying to recover from 2 1100 mile moves in 6 weeks. Back in Maine now, where I should have stayed. I did inherit about

10k in tools though through my wife's grandmother (it was her dad's stuff). a couple Chicago Pneumatic CP-734 impacts, a several air ratchets ( a CP, a snapon, and a Rodac), a cheapie air drill, a very cool IR 1/4" hex drive impact, an Atlas Copco 3/8" pistol grip impact and TONS of other stuff... I got a whole TOTE full of sockets, wrenches, and ratchets, all either Craftsman, Snap-On, S--K, or Proto. I even got an OTC engine crane and an OTC engine stand. I made out bigtime on that.

the afterburners still are on the list though, as is the vortec/ GMPP setup, a cam and a custom PROM. I just need to build some $$ back up.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I would like to have em before snow hits up here in NW Iowa... Early Nov at the latest...

Reply to
Shades

I won't have them off by then; earliest I'll be looking at will be spring. I'm planning to build the 383 this winter in my garage and then dump it in this spring at which time the 305 will be in need of a home.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"
*sigh* Alright...

Reply to
Shades

Got enough impact wrenches you would be willing to part with one?

GMC Greml>

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Sucks because I have a 305 carbed engine and I'm in NH. :-(

GMC Gremlin

possible/practical

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

nah... I've only got 2 1/2" impacts one an extended anvil and the other a regular anvil CP-734. I'm pretty much obligated to not give away or sell any of the stuff... it would cause unneccessary grief from my inlaws. besides, the CP734 is only like $119 bucks at

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

get some of the "Iron Eagle" heads.... or other aftermarket performance head. 305 heads are not worth screwing with.

the vortec heads are a good idea from what I've read, but like they say you have to get the > I know the valves would be too small for the 350, that's why I would

Reply to
Elbert