Sierra Antifreeze/Coolant

After reading other threads about coolant, I noticed Sierra has never been mentioned. Recently, I put in a new rad, hoses, and water pump... I thought I'd try the Sierra, as it's supposed to be less caustic/corrosive, and otherwise less problematic. Has anyone else used it, and what do you think of it's ability to keep the rad from clogging?

('86 Silverado)

Reply to
GC

Never heard of it.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

It's the 'edible' stuff.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Does it mix well with Tequila?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I'm sure Marsh could tell us?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish_King1

Crazy bastard probably makes "sweet tea" with it!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

LOL

Reply to
Refinish_King1

Sierra is a propylene-glycol based "safe" antifreeze. It is supposed to be non toxic and as good as standard ethylene glycol stuff. BUT testing it requires different tools. Mixing it can be fun though. 50/50 gives you -25 below. I've used it in my bike and as tire ballast in the tractors. Works pretty good so far.

Reply to
Steve W.

Since it's a safety issue, it should be made clear that propylene-glycol is

*safer* and *less toxic* than it's counterpart. It will kill animals (or humans). It just takes more of it to do so. H
Reply to
Hairy

propylene-glycol is

Yup, MUCH more (on the order of drinking a half gallon, and even then it will just make you real sick). Since it is a food ingredient. It is the ingredient in Mountain Dew soda that gives it that distinctive flavor (and makes it one of the few sodas that slush up instead of freeze). It is also used as a dog food and cat food ingredient, namely as a softener for hard food (makes hard kibble soft like real meat) and as a flavor enhancer.

Reply to
Steve W.