Silverado Mass Air Flow Sensor

Hey guys,

I believe I have been having a problem with my Mass Air Flow sensor fouling my plugs, is this something anyone here has seen before. The engine misses a little, lacks power under 2K RPM and the transmission will slip once in a while when at a stop light/sign.

I have taken my 2005 Silverado 2500HD into the chevy dealer three times, first time they said it was a bad sensor on the transmission, second time it was the computer software, the third time they said they could not see anything was wrong and no computer errors. If I take it out on the highway and floor it will run decent for a couple hundred miles or if I run some injector cleaner though it will run better for a couple hundred miles. The gas mileage is noticeable better when running smoother, no surprise here. I have sprayed the MAS with electronic cleaner as it was dirty, no I am not using a K&N filter. I replaced the plug wires and paper filter. I can not see the plugs being bad already with less than 16K miles.

I am thinking just replacing the MAF sensor to see what happens. Is there any real benefits going with the Granatelli or Jet MAF over the stock ACDELCO?

Thanks for your time.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Shep

The only comment I have heard on GM Mass Air Flow sensors is:

Do not use an oil coated paper air Cleaner because once the

oil from the air cleaner gets on the air flow sensor wire, the

mass air flow sensor readings go bad & truck runs poorly.

A new mass air flow sensor runs about $300??

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

I heard that also, I am using a dry paper filter. I think the ACDELCO MAF go for about $80, the after market MAF's are around $300. I don't know if the after market MAF's are worth the additional cost.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I run an oil wetted filter on my 99 Silvy and have no issues as you mentioned. What is the source of this info as I would like to research it?

Reply to
azwiley1

Reply to
Shep

Didn't you have to replace your catalytic converters a few weeks back or am I thinking of someone else?

GM has issued TSBs advising not to warranty certain driveability concerns if an oil wetted air filter (or evidence of such) is found installed.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Larry, there has been a ongoing thing about over oiling and causing problems with the sensor. You probably read the instructions, and didn't get carried away with the oil, most tend to figure more is better and drown the filter. I'll hunt around later today and see what I come up with.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Yes, I had to replace my cat, but as I recall, I also stated then that the truck has over 180k on the odometer. Jeff sent me the Chevy bulliten info on this and I researched it some and as some one else here mentioned, it is not specifically from an oil wetted filter, but from an excessively (over oiled) filter. I also did not see anything relating any cat issues to the filter.

I am so far out of warranty being a 99 and from milage, I have no concerns over what they will do for me.

Reply to
azwiley1

Maybe so, I wash it properly let it dry completely then using a misting spray bottle from a gun cleaning kit, I mist it let it soak in and "dry" then re-install it.

Reply to
azwiley1