Towing w/91 Blazer

Hi, I snagged a 91 Blazer with only 125kmi for $1000. It has brand new tires, runs great! I got lucky for a change. Anyway, I have an old

12ft. Aristocrat camper, a heavy little piggy, and am wondering how it will hold up to towing. It has the 4.3 v-6, 5speed. Anybody with a similar vintage have any info to share, Thanks, jb
Reply to
dunno

Is this an S-series Blazer? I am not sure if the fullsize came with 4.3 or not.

What's the axle ratio?

Reply to
burntkat

Hey, Yes, it is the 2-door S-10 Jb

a similar vintage have any

Reply to
jb

ok-- this changes things.

Axle ratio?!!?

Reply to
burntkat

also- exactly how heavy is this little piggy? Does it have electric brakes?

Would probably suggest a WD hitch with anything that large and having the aerodynamics of a well-designed brick.

Reply to
burntkat

Burntkat, I can't find any specs on the gear ratio, I tried the Chevy web site, no go, and of course the manual says nothing. As for "little piggy", it's a 68 Aristocrat and all wood, so off the top of my head I'd say it's running a good ton, not much more than that. and yes, it has electric brakes installed. jb

"burntkat" > also- exactly how heavy is this little piggy? Does it have electric brakes?

Reply to
jb

Look in the glovebox at the sticker of 3-character codes. Look for any starting with G and refer to the list below for the factory-installed axle ratio.

G80= limited slip diff. GU2= 2.73 GU4= 3.08 GU6= 3.42 GT4, GX1= 3.73 GT5= 4.10

Now, if a PO swapped the gears, you'll have NO clue what ratio you have...

Reply to
Mike Levy

Look in your glovebox for the build code sticker and I can tell you how to find the ratio.

Reply to
burntkat

Aside from popping open the rear diff and counting...

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

Mike, In the glove box, there was 3 sets of "G" codes: they are; GMC, GU6, and G80. I assume that the code we are looking for is the G80. so, if that means it is a "limited slip diff", what the heck does that mean? jb

"Mike Levy> Look in the glovebox at the sticker of 3-character codes. Look for

Reply to
jb

Burnt: see previous post on this, I believe the code is G80, and according to "KJ" that means it is a "limited slip diff", whatever that means. thanks, jb

"burntkat" <

Reply to
jb

it means you've got the G80 automatic locking differential manufactured by Eaton for GM. it means your differential will lock solid when a 200 RPM (I *think*) difference occurs between the axle shafts and hopefully get you out of your low traction situation.

the GU6 means you've got a 3.42 rear.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Bret, Thanks for clearing that up. Now, I am trying to integrate that info into my limited understanding of trani's. Could you offer an opinion as to how well this particular rear end will hold up to pulling my 12' trailer? And also, would you care to comment on this rear end as compared to others in terms of power, traction, reliability, climbing abilities etc.? thanks, jb

Reply to
jb

All of which means most of us are pretty damned envious now!

Reply to
burntkat

Not all of us! I have the 8.5" rear axle in my truck, with 3.73's and the G80...

'course, I have a ZR2 that came standard with that..

Reply to
Mike Levy

Burnt: hate to continue to show my ignorance, again, but, JUST WHAT THE HECK does any of this mean? jb

Reply to
jb

Isn't the G80 the "Gov-lock"?

Reply to
burntkat

G80 automatic locking differential manufactured by Eaton for GM. it means your differential will lock solid when a 200 RPM (I *think*) difference occurs between the axle shafts and hopefully get you out of your low traction situation.

the GU6 means you've got a 3.42 rear.

Now- if it's an automatic LOCKING diff, and not a LSD , that's a good thing. Now I think, though-- if it requires a 200rpm speed differential between the tires, it's an LSD. They're good for onroad since they don't have any effect on the driving mannerisms of the car under power, but pretty much suck offroad, where a spinning wheel will more likely than not just dig you in faster. Guess which school of thought I subscribe to?

3.42 is a decent towing gearset. Not quite as good as a 3.73 would be
Reply to
burntkat

Please ignore last- think I confused it with something else...

Reply to
burntkat

I have a 1992 S10 with 298,560 miles on it. I just towed my 2002 Viking Saga 2308 camper home. This camper is 2750lbs empty. Then add full tank of water, fridge loaded. Fill the propane tank. Add 4 or 5 fires worth of wood. Supplies and it's over 3100lbs.

I put on a class III hitch and tranny cooler. No need for add on brakes or sway bars. Pulls great. Just have to baby it since the engine is tired. :)

LS

PS Rear only drops by 5/8 inch when I put on the trailer. Was very surprised.

Reply to
LS