Wanted : 1978-1980 frame and running gear

I am looking for a 1978-1980 3/4 ton 4x4 frame and running gear in reasonably good condition. Anyone have any guess about what would be a decent price to pay ? Thanks in advance! Jon

Reply to
John Smith

No more than $1000 for a really good one with good T-Case, good driveshafts,

10.5 14bolt rear, good Dana44 front not needing parts, PS box, all the tie rods and drag link, and gas tank(s).

What part of the country are you in?

Reply to
Shades

I am in Southwest Missouri - Northeast of Joplin, Mo. I know where there are a couple frame/running gears units but was wondering what they would be worth. There is a worn out motor with one and it has all of the amenities you mentioned and the 205 transfer case.

driveshafts,

Reply to
John Smith

A NP205 T-case is always a good find if in good condition or only needing some seals.

Like I said, no more than $1000. Check out the spring bushings. Check out the front spring perches on the rear...I have seen more than a few rusted through due to moronic cleaning practices(not getting on the ground and cleaning the wet sandy silt off of it. Look for broken leafs in the rear. How much clearance is there between the front bump stops and the axle tube? Factory Chevy front springs sag bad. Are they bare frames...i.e. no body parts?

Look for signs of shifting cross members. Kneel down and eye across the frame...does it look level, straight, twisted, kinked...?

Reply to
Shades

One frame has a cab and a motor- the cab has good glass and a few interior parts but for the most part a rust bucket! The motor is supposed to be a 4 bolt main and it does run. The other frame is just that - it has a motor but is no good for even rebuilding. Both frames are straight and all trannies, transfer cases and drive lines are there and look to be in as good as shape as can be for the years. The guy wants $1000 for the pair.

Reply to
John Smith

Grab 'em!!!

Reply to
Shades

That was what I was wanting to hear! Thanks for your input.

Reply to
John Smith