Super Beetle Frame problem?

Hello

I am looking at my '73 SB vert, and the frame head in front is pretty torched. The body is in quite good shape, though...

Any ideas on what/how to replace a SB frame-head? I am a decent welder, but was curious if any had attempted this feat.

Also, does anyone know if/where to locate/purchase a framehead for a super?

Thanks

OldIron

Reply to
OldIron

SB frame heads are stupidly expensive these days :-(

You can get a full bottom repair plate , depending on where yours has rotted..

The replacement procedure is just a mater of alignment and good welding.

I did mine with the body off. made a jig from the floor pan to the front frame head mounts of the original head, then cut the FH off where it meets the tunnel(see you new head to see where to cut) , and line the new head up using the jig. the fuel line needs to be dealt with where it exits / enters the head

- it's been a few years since I did mine, I'll see if I still have the photo's.

Rich

Reply to
tricky

On the Samba forum last month I brought up the question of how to straighten a frame head.

VW repair shop employee I talked to on the phone said a junkyard replacement pan for my Type 3 could cost anywhere from $500 to $2000. In many cases it might be cheaper to straighten your frame rather than look for another decent one.

-- Randall

Reply to
Randall

Reply to
OldIron

I cant find my 'resto' thread. I'll see if I have any photo's hiding on my hard drive somewhere.

I would agree though, if at all possible, a repair is a good option !

as far as replacing. the thing that needs to be correct is the position of the front chassis mounting holes. you need a way of referencing the new holes on the new frame head, after you have cut the old one off.

I used angle bolted to the floor pan with alginment mark for where the frame head needs to be. then you can remover your old frame head, and know where the new one needs to be. I hope that makes sense ???

oh ... and the welds need to be really good !

Reply to
tricky

Reply to
OldIron