2002 TL Noisy Transmission

I have a 2002 TL-S that seems to have a very noisy transmission at drive speeds. (60+kmh) Actually sounds like a 4x4 with big tread tires. I've just put a new set of Michelin MXV4's on and no diff at all.

Anyway, I suspect Transmission. Does anybody know if Honda Canada would consider this a warranty issue? (With all the transmission recalls there were for these models)

I'm not the original new purchaser of the car and it currently has 145,000 km on it.

Reply to
BG

> TL > 2nd gen > Problems and Fixes > Tranny Failure Thread

(although not sure if that's the same as your problem)

====

Charles T. Low

====

Reply to
Charles T. Low

Crap tires. But that's not the problem.

Could be a wheel bearing. I had one go, and it sounded exactly like a big truck tire.

Reply to
Venture Rider

I agree, bad wheel bearings usually hum.

I just took my 2000 TL in because of hesitation - trembling at low throttle. There was no noise. The service guy said there's a shifting problem between 4-5 gear at about 1800 rpm that was "characteristic" of these cars and I could run it in the 4th gear drive position around town to avoid it. In other words "live with it".

However, he called me a few hours later after they had driven the car to say they were going to put a new (rebuilt) transmission in the car. I was surprised as it didn't seem that bad. Lucky its got less than 100k so I only get hit for a new front motor mount and other things found wrong in the "exam".

They gave me a brand new TSX to drive for the time its going to take for the job (probably a week)!

Reply to
Ron Jones

I expect a full report on that TSX, then.

Reply to
Venture Rider

First impressions. Its got a lot more bells and whistles than the 00 TL (which is actually pretty basic) XM radio, passenger AC controls, computer, one touch up windows. It has a noticeably smaller cabin but rides smoother and handles better and the steering feels more precise. The power seems similar to the standard TL.

My wife would buy it (the dealers know what they are doing giving out new cars as loaners) but I'm really in the market for a small SUV. The RAV 4 V6 is my current top choice. The new smaller Acura SUV will probably be too expensive for me.

Reply to
Ron Jones

Just to follow up my original post. I was lucky (I guess) Was just a wheel bearing.

Nice quite ride again.

Reply to
BG

Thanks for the follow-up... more data for us to work with next time!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee