90 integra gs ignition switch replacement

diagnosed nonworking blower,radio to faulty ignition switch acc,batb,ig2b is open in key position 1. based on acura test mechanicals are ok.

acura manual says i need remove the 2 shear bolts holding the switch in place by center punching the bolt and drilling it out using a 3/16 drill. any tips in avoiding disaster?

where can i get replacement shear bolts. can i use normal bolts?

thanks

-r

Reply to
richy_3099

I did it once on some other car - the shear bolts were surprisingly soft and didn't even need to be center punched as long as I was careful in starting the holes. What you are doing is drilling the heads off, then removing the shafts once the ignition is free. I bought some regular bolts from the hardware store and remounted it that way. I imagine the screw heads could be filled with epoxy after reassembly to make them tamper-resistant if that is important... it wasn't to me.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

thanks -

if someone wants your car, theyre gonna get it.

"Michael Pardee" wrote: >

Reply to
richy_3099

That was kinda my thought - if somebody was planning to steal the car they wouldn't be likely to take the cover off to see if by chance the shear bolts had been replaced with regular screws. They would come with a plan and execute it.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

richy_3099 wrote in news:948950_ snipped-for-privacy@autoboardz.com:

YOU DO NOT REMOVE THE SHEAR BOLTS to remove the ignition switch!!!! The shear bolts are removed to change the *column lock*!

The ignition switch is held in by two tiny Phillips screws!

Tegger

richy_3099 wrote in news:949090 snipped-for-privacy@0000.com:

yeah,but why make it easier for them?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:ddqdnTIRo_iHcebYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

Actually,all they do is jam a big flat blade screwdriver into the key slot and twist until the cylinder breaks.Then they remove the lock cylinder and turn the switch part with the screwdriver.They work fast.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns98959FB48B26Ajyanikkuanet@129.250.170.84:

Screwdriver, big set of Vise Grips (pregapped to clamp tightly on screwdriver).

Use Vise Grips to hammer screwdriver into key slot. Clamp Vise Grips on screwdriver. Twist clockwise to break pin, pull cylinder out. Takes about ten seconds.

You can open door and trunk locks the same basic way, only that takes five seconds because you have more room to swing the Vise Grips and the cylinder only needs to be turned, not removed.

In case anyone's wondering, I didn't have a previous career as a car thief, I practiced on junk cars in wrecking yards.

Reply to
Tegger