Acura Integra LS 1990 problem

I have a 1990 Acura Integra with a manual tranismissin. There is about 260,000 Kim (or 160,000 miles).

It still has original clutch & transmission and was working 100% unitl yesterday with no mech problems UNTIL yesteday. I was ready to takeoff from a lite and when I let out the clultch nothing happened even though the Acura was in gear. As I was only about 50 yards from my home, I did manage to limp back though it "smelled" like something was burning. Much like the smell of brakes. Clutch?

I thought it would not move because maybe the emergency brake had stayed on even though it was released. So I tested the emergency brake with back wheels up & it is working as expected. So no prob there.

Any ideas?

BIG thanks.

Reply to
notinthislifetime

One point I missed....for last month I was starting to get "some slippng" in the clutch. When I would press on the gas, I would get more revs but the Acura would not accelerate as fast. Wud that indicate the clutch is worn out & no longer able to auto adjust?

If the clutch is kaput, any idea of >I have a 1990 Acura Integra with a manual tranismissin. There is

Reply to
notinthislifetime

snipped-for-privacy@company.org wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Your clutch is NOT of the "auto adjust" type.

If you're lucky, all you need to do is adjust it, and all will be well.

Take a look under the hood, towards the front, below (but ahead of) the distributor. See a black cable with a very large black plastic nut in the middle? That's the adjusting nut. Pull the cable up with your hand, then spin the nut UP the threaded shaft with your thumb.

There ought to be about 5/32" of slack in the cable. In other words, you should be able to pull the nut off its seat by that amount. You spin the nut up until that amount is reached.

If you cannot pull the nut off its seat with your hand, there's a way to force it off. Just reply back here.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will attempt that tomorrow. BTW, to my knowledge this has NEVER been done before as there was no prob. Not bad for 260,000KM....LOL

You are the best.

dewayne > snipped-for-privacy@company.org wrote in

Reply to
notinthislifetime

Tried this but did not work.

I got a couple quotes for a clutch replacement: costa * $900 which is more than my car is worth SO I will be holding a WAKE for Suzie this coming weekend.

dewayne

Reply to
notinthislifetime

that's crazy.

  1. the back of my local paper has independent repair shop ads for import clutch changes at less than 0. you need to make a few more calls.

  1. how many new car payments divide into 0? excluding what deposit?

  2. you put an ad on craigslist and see how much the car is worth - a good deal more than 0 even with no clutch.
Reply to
jim beam

snipped-for-privacy@company.org wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You mean you managed to get enough clearance to allow the nut to be easily pulled off its seat by 5/32", but the clutch still slips?

Reply to
Tegger

Yes, can gegt even more than this but NOTHING happens when I pop out the clutch. And the clutch pedal goes down real easy, I can't feel any pressure at all.

Reply to
notinthislifetime

then the cable is broken - that's a $50 part.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:Pt2dnSI6e5Hafl3RnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

If the cable was broken, the clutch would never DIS-engage.

OP's last comments are somewhat puzzling. If there's NO resistance to pedal movement, how did he manage to change gear at all?

I do know that if the pedal-return spring breaks, the pedal will be very easy to push and release, and will sometimes stick in the "down" position. The pedal-return spring is a $5 part.

If the clutch is truly worn-out, there will be 1/4" or less of threaded-rod showing above the adjusting nut.

Reply to
Tegger

Guys thanks for all the ideas. Rather than beat a dead horse. I am getting another Acura or Honda in the immediate future.

Reply to
notinthislifetime

the whole cable doesn't snap at once, it does it strand by strand. by the time the user notices, a bunch of strands have gone, and the clutch is not disengaging properly because the cable has by now stretched as strands have released. from there, it's only a few pedal pushes until the whole thing is broken. in this case, i expect the monkeying and pressing the op did trying to adjust was sufficient to finish the cable off.

maybe, but much less common.

whatever the deal, the op's story is not entirely consistent. without sufficient knowledge to describe the situation properly, this is just a psychic charade.

Reply to
jim beam