Excessive gas consumption

Hello all: I own a 2000 Acura Integra GS-R with 72k miles. Lately I have noticed that its gas consumption is very high. I do not know how many miles per gallon am I getting, but it seems a lot less than before. I drive about

120 miles per day and I have to fill up every other day. Is this normal? I used to go from Boca Raton to Orlando (200 miles) in just over half a tank! Can I do anything besides check oil, proper tire presure, clean air filter and slow down to save some more gas? What could be wrong with my car? Please let me know if there is anything else I could do?
Reply to
FC

Start with the obvious things you mention, plus a brief feel of the wheels after highway driving to ensure the brakes aren't dragging (one or more wheels warm). Beyond that, you should find out what your fuel economy really is. Record the starting mileage when you fill your tank and how much gas you have to put in the next few times you fill your tank. Divide the total miles by the total gallons and see what others are getting at - what speed are you driving mostly?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Could bad wheel bearings cause a problem? Although when I had one go bad, it made a lot of noise!

Reply to
Venture Rider

They could, but (as you mention) they are usually not very quiet about it.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks guys, I got my work cut out for this weekend.

Reply to
FC

its also assumed your car has OEM wheels, and OEM brake rotors, OEM air intake, O2 sensor; yes/no?

Reply to
James S