1985 Audi 4000s idling rich

My Audi 1985 Audi 4000 is running perfectly well when warmed up after about one minute.

The problem is rough idle and running rich when starting the cold engine.

I replaced a leaking valve cover gasket, airfilter and sparkplugs, checked the idle valve, but have not been able to pinpoint the cause.

Any hints would be appreciated

marti-

Reply to
vgf

How do you know it is running rich? Is it also idling either too low or too high?

Check your coolant temperature sensor for the fuel injection. Check for a weak ign coil. Check the fuel pressure and the current to the fuel pressure regulator. Check the fuel distributor flap level according to the Bentley. Oh and clean that area too! ;-) I have seen bad/leaking fuel injector seals cause some idling problems too! You can spray some carb cleaner at them to see if the idle changes any.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Dave,

Yes, it is running rich because you can smell the excess gas and the engine stutters, most likelybecause the combustion chamber is temporarily flooded with gasoline.

Thanks for the tips, they make good sense!

marti

Reply to
vgf

It might also be an idea to run a bottle of Techron injector cleaner in a few tanks.

Reply to
TonyJ

hmmm I have not seen an '85-87 Audi 4000 in awhile. The system is a little different than my '83 Audi 4000S. Is there a Cold Start Valve that might be staying on a little too long? Maybe you could try unplugging it electrically and starting the engine cold to see what it does.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Yes, it has a cold start valve, unplugging the wire does not cause any change, which does not seem right either. Will keep exploring.....

Reply to
vgf

Is the cold start valve leaking?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I don't see any outside leaks. Now, I just looked at my 5000s Bentley Book and it talks about the throttle switch. There is a throttle switch on this 85 4000s also, when I disconnect the connector the idle speed zooms up.

The adjustments seem pretty convulated. I think I'll just put up with this, since the car runs perfect once it warms up in about less than a minute.

I'll have most manuals, but I think I'll get the Bentley manual for this 1985 4000s.

Reply to
vgf

Sometimes the cold start valve leaks fuel on the inside creating a richer mixture. ;-) I think the Bentley manual instructs you on how to check them.

Yes it could be a problem with the throttle switches, one for idle and one for wide open throttle....if so equipped.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Dave, Thanks for all the input.

These old cars can be a challenge. But than again, everything gets older from day one....

Reply to
vgf