New Yorker Smoke Problem

Hello All, I am the proud owner of a '89 New Yorker with a 3.0 and under 40,000 miles. It has been running very well except lately, I've had a bit more smoke then I would like to see come out the tail pipe. It's not a cloud of smoke but it is noticable when idle or when I'm waitinf for the light to change to green.

It's a white smoke but smells more like an overly rich mixture then antifreeze. I also checked my antifreeze level and it has not changed a bit. Have a small oil leak around the valve cover that takes up about a pint every other week.

Help! I sure love this car and hope your suggestions might help me pinpoint the problem.

TIA,

Jesse

Reply to
Jes

Typical Mitsubishi 3.0. Valve guides leaking like sieves (maybe even dropped down out of the head), or possibly rings getting sticky. The engine is known for both.

Reply to
Steve

This engine prior to 94 had seen problems in this area so what is said here is possible. How ling since last oil/filter change and PCV Valve checked.

Reply to
PC Medic

I imagine so, since the only acceptable amount of smoke from the tailpipe of that car is "none".

Your first-year 3.0 is suffering from the same problem virtually all of them did: Upper-engine problems. These engines are very prone to valve stem seal leakage (fix: new seals), dropped valve guides (fix: rebuilt heads incorporating the post-'93 factory fixes of snap rings and better guides), poor crankcase ventillation (fix: complete service of ALL the components in the PCV system) and, occasionally, stuck oil rings.

There are enough post-'93 3.0s in the world that you can *easily* find a good, serviceable set of used heads for less than you'd spend having yours exchanged for a rebuilt updated set.

.

-Stern

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

No question about it on that model - you have a valve guide problem. Either dropped or worn out. You will need the heads rebuilt or replaced, as well as a catalitic converter. On mine, by the time you could see oil smoke the cat was dead. I suspected the oil seapage was my problem untill the cat started to rattle and I started to see smoke. Dang MitsoShitty engines. Bulletproof bottom end, and fragile valve guides.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce