2001 A4 1.8T coolent temperature gauge

Since my last (80K) service, I have noticed that the coolent temperature gauge does not always reach the midway point. It has never gone past the midway point, but sometimes it just hovers around it on the lower side. At time it will reach the midpoint and then go down a little. Manual says it should remain "somewhere in the middle". Should I be concerned about it? Thanks.

Reply to
Samar

Sounds normal to me.

Tonyj

98.5 A4 1.8TQM

Samar wrote:

Reply to
Tony

"Samar" wrote

It should stay smack dead in the middle. The gauge has a dead range right in the center, so +/- a few degrees, it'll stay planted in the middle. If you notice if falls to the left during hwy driving, but is around the middle around town or in traffic, I'd suspect you need a new thermostat. At 80K miles, you should replace it anyway, along with timing belt and tensioner (hopefully you've done those already). Otherwise, if not thermostat, it could be a faulty coolant temp sensor or coolant gauge, but those are more rare.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

A faulty coolant temperature sensor is not that rare - I've replaced it a couple of times in 80,000 miles on my 98 A4.

Reply to
iws

The consensus seems to be that it's either the thermostat or the temperature sensor. It should be simple and relatively inexpensive for a competent Audi mechanic to test the temperature sensor. The cost to replace the thermostat would be considerably more.

Reply to
iws

Reply to
sst117

As long as the temperature indication remains only slightly off normal, it shouldn't hurt to wait until next week.

Reply to
iws