a4 sports suspension.......... are there different levels?

Drove a neighbours A4 Avant 1.9TDi 130 with sports suspension, nice hard ride, stuck to road like NORMALglue, bl**dy brilliant

I'll explore having an Audi next then

Tested a 1.8T Cabriolet quattro for 4 days, nice hard ride, stuck to road like SUPERglue, bl**dy brilliant, U -Turned quicker than a politician, circumnavigated roundabouts on rails, went wherever you might care to point it.

Tested a 3.0TDi quattro saloon that had "sports suspension" - but not the S-Line that I am considering, although it had every S-Line extra except those subtle (nigh invisible?) body bits (even 17" std S-Line wheels). Soft armchair ride, stuck to the road like..... any old but comfortable car you care to mention - NOT sporty

Dealership say S-Line is a much firmer ride (I hope so) than std sports suspension, but all this implies that the suspension is the determining factor for grip and not quattro.... which I find difficult to believe is the case.

Would the 3.0Tdi Q be too heavy in the nose to upset the balance? Does anybody have data / opinions on sports suspension differences? Anybody mildly disappointed by the roll / grip on their quattro? Is servotronic steering to blame? Is Tiptronic to blame? This model had it but I'm up for a manual

Appreciate your thoughts

Reply to
charles blassberg

Well, in the US we got the 'standard' suspension and a 'sports' suspension. I've only driven the latter. The standard suspension was apparently the same as the sports suspension for the previous generation A4. We received an 'Ultrasport' version that I understand is comparable to the S-Line that everyone else gets, but the suspension was the same, but with 18" wheels and tires (along with cosmetic bits). I am not sure of the suspensions available foor the 'new' 2005.5 models, but you probably get more choices than we do....

I haven't driven a 3.0 but have heard that it is a little less responsive handling-wise than the 1.8T due to the additional weight. Generally, people in the States say to get the 1.8T if you plan to mod it, as it can be made to put out a lot of power. Get the 3.0 if you value smoothness, a more luxurious car than the 1.8T, which would be more sporty. Again, with your choice of drivetrains, it's not as cut and dried for you....

I bought the 1.8T 6-speed with the sports suspension because I wanted the higher gas mileage of the 4. I haven't regretted it, although I do plan to chip it once I get closer to the end of the warranty.

Dan D Central New Jersey USA

Reply to
Dano58

---8 Anybody mildly disappointed by the roll / grip on their quattro?

I've tested quattro but gladly settled for FWD. I noticed that the quattro gave a bit more when drilling it into corners, but it was pretty extreme driving, lots of roll, that was required for me to see the difference. All this with the traction control turned off, of course.

On snow and ice, the quattro gives better acceleration, but of course braking is not any better, contrary to some dreamers' beliefs ;-)

Here in Sweden only a small proportion of Audi drivers choose quattro, which is not what you would expect, given the weather for 4-5 months of the year. But Scandinavians are generally excellent snow and ice drivers, so the extra 2 wheels driving is not a high priority, at least in relation to the fact that quattro is said to worsen fuel consumption by 5-10%, all other factors (e.g. driving style, tyre choice etc) being equal.

Note that fuel prices here have gone to about EUR 1,25 per litre (GBP

0,86, SEK 11,20) which is just over 6 dollars for a USA gallon. So we're just not as fanatical about quattro as the USA are, where I have yet to hear of a non-quattro Audi being delivered.

Can't comment on the sequential box or variable rate steering, but they sound interesting.

/Robert

Reply to
Robert

Robert, that's interesting, I certainly would have thought that quattro woould be more popular than FWD in Sweden.... But I suspect that part of it is that snow removal is very well done there.... I know here in New Jersey, snow removal is terrible in general, so quattro certainly comes in handy. Most people in the lower snow belt don't get winter tires, either, so good all-season tires with quattro has been very effective for me. And a lot of fun as well! But you're right about braking, the laws of physics still reign regardless of how many wheels can drive the car forward.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

"Dano58" wrote

Yup. Audi has done a good job of marketing 'quattro' in the US. Most people in the US buy Audis BECAUSE of quattro. Otherwise, they'd get a BMW or an MB.

In Europe, not too many Audis are sold with quattro for the reasons Robert stated - mainly increase in fuel consumption, and fuel isn't exactly cheap here. And the benefits of quattro aren't really that huge. A 2-wheel-drive car with proper winter tires will handle better than quattro with not so proper tires.

I still love my quattro, but could easily do without it.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

FWIW, I've seen many late model Audi's in California and down south without Quattro, which makes sense. Here in New England, I don't know if I've ever seen one without it. Although I must say, especially in rain, I throw my A4 around like I would never dare a non-Quattro car.

Reply to
Kyle Tucker

For sure, just like Subaru's popularity in places like NH, VT and ME... I got along fine without quattro for years, driving Jettas from 1986 through 2004, including many years living in Upstate NY and Massachusetts... But now that I've been through a couple of (relatively mild) winters in NJ with quattro, I don't want to do without it!