Allroad or A6 Avant Quatro?

Greetings,
I'm looking at getting one of those two used wagons, and wondering if anyone has opinions on which is best. Is the only difference the
larger engine, adjustable suspension, and some wheel flairs? I would probably be happy with the 2.8 (I know some say it's underpowered, but it seems fine to me for US driving), and I think the Allroads sit awkwardly high--or, can they be set to the "low" position and have more of an Avant sttance? Gas mileage is better for the Avant as well I believe.
Thanks Much--------Ted
On 18 Nov 2004 11:51:53 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (TK) wrote:

The only question is ground clearance. If you want some, get the AR. If you want more, get a SUV. If that is not enough, get a HumJob. And if that is not enough, get a horse and wagon.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (TK) wrote:

The A6 has a larger range of engines. The allroad is only available with 2.5TDi, 2.7T and 4.2 V8. The A6 is available with a variety of powerplants 1.8T - 4.2T (RS6), and 1.9TDi - 2.5TDi.

<< The A6 has a larger range of engines. >>
In his case (US driver), it's the 2.8L or 3.0L (depending on year) versus the 2.7T or 4.2L.
My advice is to drive both, see which one you prefer. The only real difference between the two, aside from the powerplants, is the suspension system. The Allroad's adjustable height system is something I find to be useful.
Peter Smith
The Allroad give you considerablly more power to work with (250 or 310, depending on which engine you choose) and the versitility of the air suspension system. With it, you can set the car lower for an "Avant like" stance and sports car handling or higher for the kind of ground clearence you'd need for snow, light flood or bumpy terrain conditions. It gives you 95% of the versitlity of a real 4x4 with 100% of the benefits of a car sized and car based vehicle, including gas mileage. The A6 Avant is a very nice but far less versitle vehicle, and I'd suggest driving the Volkswagen Passat too as it will save you money, but will not be quite as large. Steve Grauman
Thanks for the helpful comments everyone.