Audi 100 oil warning beeper

My '92 Audi 100 2.8L v6 continues to display the oil warning light and 3 beeps. Oil pressure is excellent , level is OK nad sensor has been replaced. Makes me nervous every time I drive!!!

I'd be very grateful for any ideas.

Thanks

T.O. (New Zealand)

Reply to
John Smith

Don't these have two oil pressure switches (sensors) one for high pressure and one for low pressure?

Reply to
Grizzly

They do, at least my older 1988 and 1989 models have.

Christoph

P.S. I posted a longer message about this some time ago. Here is a copy (just keep in mind that it applies to the older models I have):

I would say it's telling you to get the oil pressure checked!

When my oil warning came on (only at high revs > ~2800 rpm), I was told by the local mechanic that it was very likely an electronic fault. ("If you can see the oil on top and it doesn't heat up, ..."). He wasn't able to check the pressure himself.

Eventually I drove to the audi dealer about 20km from us. It was the oil pressure, but it was too late :-(

Luckily, I found a very good condition engine on a scrap yard, but it seems when they put it in all pipes around the engine desintegrated plus an engine mount. In the end I spend almost as much on this as I did to buy that car in the first place ...

I would say better get the pressure checked right now!

Christoph

P.S. I did learn a lot in the mean time: For some reason, they have two sensors on the engine:

- One gives a fault if the pressere is below 0.3bar

- The other gives a fault if the pressure is below 1.8 bar, but the autocheck system only complains if the engine refs with >2800 rpm. This made me believe that I only had a problem when I went fast. However, the other sensor was probably broken. This is indicated by an oil warning before the engine is started. However, I was used to cars where the oil lamp always comes on before the engine is started, so I didn't worry about that. I know better now.

Therefore: To all with autocheck systems, if the oil warning comes on before the engine is started, and then goes off again, it might be a faulty oil sensor.

Reply to
Christoph Bollig

The warning starts (and usually stops soon after) from as soon as a minute or two after the engine has been started or as late as more than an hour or so. This can occur several times over a short journey. It has been happening for a year or so now. Warning doesn't show before the car is started

Didn't know about the two sensors - I'll check that out.

My model has an oil pressure gauge as well as an oil temp gauge. The pressure showas as around 4 bar at all times - towards the top end of the gauge. Oil temp is OK and oil level is always OK

I guess I've been treating it as an electrical/computer fault so far but .....

Trevor

Reply to
John Smith

On the dynamic oil pressure warning system there is a small electronic gizmo that selects between the output from the two oil pressure sensors depending on the engine RPM. It was not uncommon for this gizmo to fail, causing the oil pressure warning light / buzzer to come on even though the oil pressure was fine. This electronic gizmo was built into the tachometer on late 80's VW Golfs / Jettas, don't know if the '92 100 was similar.

Reply to
Randolph