Audi certified engine oils

I noticed that Audi's list of certified engine oils does not include any of of the boutique, specialty synthetic oils (Amsoil, RedLine, Royal Purple or Schaeffer).

Does anyone know if this is just oversight, a case of small companies being snubbed by large companies, or is there some technical reason for it?

Thx,

dk

Reply to
Dan Koren

"Dan Koren" wrote

Most smaller boutique oil companies may find it hard to pay VAG huge bucks just so that their oils become approved by VAG.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Or, more likely, those boutique oils really aren't any better than the oils from the big companies, or they don't meet all the specifications.

Shell Rotella synthetic at WalMart. Half the price of Mobil 1 (about) and meets all the Audi turbo specs.

-- E.P. '95 UrS6

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

"Ed Pirrero"wrote

Another reason could be that the Audi list which the OP was referring to was only listing some (and not all) oils, mainly those that are easily obtainable at most major auto parts stores rather than through mail order.

As for Amsoil, they claim that their 5w-40 European Car Formula surpasses VW

502.00, 505.00, 505.01 specs and many others. But then again, the wording is such, that it doesn't clearly state whether it actually MEETS them. Amsoil makes good oil, despite their sometimes questionable marketing tactics, and I know this 5w-40 would do just fine in most VAG engines, but if it's not on the Audi list and your warranty is at stake, you'd better think twice.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

As someone else states it is perhaps because they haven't paid to pass the test, or it could be because they wouldn't pass the test. Having read the claims, and the dismisals against products such as Slick 50, Motor Up [1] etc I have now become a lot more cautious about which products I chose to pour into my engines.

I'm not sure about in the US but I know in the UK my local VW dealership will sell me the VW approved oil, for less than the local motor factors will a main brand. I can run VW Fully Synthetic [2] for about half the price of Mobil 1, or bog standard VW Mineral for less than the price of Catrol GTX, Duckhams etc.

Ever since I made this discovery down at my local dealership, I've bought all my oil there.

[1] And suffered an engine failure which having since read those claims I suspect Slick 50 was the reason for... [2] Or Synta whatever it is branded.
Reply to
Jon B

This particular vehicle is already out of warranty, so that is not an issue.

For the other two Audis we have that are still under warranty we use Castrol Syntec 10-40 in summer and Valvoline SynPower 5W-40 in winter. Both are on Audi's list.

There is quite a bit of empirical and anecdotal evidence that suggests Mobil One is inferior to both.

dk

Reply to
Dan Koren

I think you're thinking of Quantum Synta Gold, for the fully sythetic one. Synta is a semi-synthetic (in a silver pack) GSF sell the quantum range as well: I've just spent a lot of time trying to find a stockist of Millers oils locally, and given up. I went to GSF and got the Synta and Synta Gold. You're right: it's an absolute bargain. Obviously it meets all the VW standards, and it's much cheaper than other brands.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Yes, and as there are only about five [1] manufacturers of oil, you know the Quantum oil is just somebody elses rebranded [2], or a slightly different blend with less additives.

I have been told in the past the Gold is just Mobil 1 though, not sure how much truth there was to that though.

[1] Or was it three, theres only a handful of brake disc manufacturers too, and I can never remember which way round the figures are now. [2] Halford cheapo mineral oil is Duckhams for eg.
Reply to
Jon B