burning odor

What could be some causes for suddenly smelling an odor of burning rubber or something similarly acrid? This comes and goes, it's not constant, and it just started yesterday.

98.5 2.8 A4
Reply to
xymergy

In my case, a plastic carrier bag stuck itself to the exhaust.

Nasty, and quite hard to spot (it also coincided with my neighbour driving into the back of the car on my driveway.. :o\ )

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

This is probably an oil leak from the camshaft/adjuster seals leaking onto the exhaust. This is apparently a common occurance with th 2.8. See audiworld.com for discussions re. Search under "cam oil leak"

Reply to
squid

Sounds possible. How urgent is this, given that it just started? Would you fix it immediately or wait a week or so?

Reply to
xymergy

Reply to
JPF

This car is a 5-speed, so not likely to have this particular leak, but thanks very much for posting the possibility.

Reply to
xymergy

As long as your oil level doesn't drop too low. Just keep an eye on the level, but I'd get it looked after soon.

I have a 2000 A6 2,8 Q that was purchased last June. This problem indicated itself with an acrid odor issuing from the heater at around

60,000 km. . It was diagnosed rather quickly and repaired under Audi Assured warranty for the $50.00 deductable but the service tech said it was a 6 hr job + parts. As stated it is quite common for these engines to leak at the camshaft seals.
Reply to
squid

Damn. Mine is a 98.5 A4 2.8 Q, and today my friendly (really, they are friendly, I like them a lot) dealer told me 9 hours, $900. OWCH! I have not smelled the smell since yesterday, but your point about watching the oil level is well taken, thanks for making it.

Reply to
xymergy