Coolant fan replacement- 1998 A4 2.8

My son's 98 A4, 2.8 again. . . .

Had an overheat & noticed the electric fan wasn't working. Traced it back to the 40A fuse under the steering wheel. . . replaced fuse & it worked for a few minutes, but soon after the high speed fan kicked in, the fan growled a bit and blew another fuse.

The Bentley diagram doesn't say anything about changing it [at least that I can see. If I'm missing it just point me at it.] -- but it looks like a single screw holds the plastic housing in place, and it twists out of 3 or 4 notches. . .?? I removed the screw & tried that, but nothing is giving yet.

Am I on the right track, or does the radiator need to be pulled for this? [a radiator removal that begins with 'Remove the bumper' has held me back from jumping into that job.]

Thanks, Jim [also posting this on the audiworld.com b5 forum]

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

My son also has a 98 A4 2.8 and when we DIY the timing belt we didn't remove the front end (bumper, radiator ...)

So while we got the job done it wasn't without our share of cuts and scrapes.

In the process we tried to remove the fan to gain more room. It appeared to be able to do just as you described but we were not able to do it that way. I 'think' that there is another screw on the bottom in an inaccessible location.

My guess is that you will need to remove the front end, drain radiator and all the other fun stuff.

BTW, be sure to bleed the coolant system when done. I think there are three bleed locations. Without that it will have excursions into higher temps than it should.

Tony

98.5 A4 1.8TQM APR S> My son's 98 A4, 2.8 again. . . .
Reply to
Tony

I'll file that one away for future reference. [Though I should probably see how bad that bumper is to get off before I kill my knuckles.]

I'll roll around under her again tomorrow & see if I can get my mirror up there.

It's scheduled for a trip to the dealer's for a radiator flush and a tranny 'refresh' Tuesday. I was hoping to be able to replace the fan monday--- but if I'd have to do major surgery, I'll probably let the dealer do it. [It will cut seriously into my son's 'stereo budget', though.]

Thanks again, Tony, Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I'll top-post my own message since the distribution of both is likely the same-

Nothing like a fresh start. This morning I went out, got curious about a protrusion on the bottom of the fan, couldn't even get my mirror close to it, so I pushed & wiggled-- and 'voila!'- fan removal complete. . . . well, almost.

Now my dilemma is- do I snip the wires & splice at the fan-- or try to re-route a new harness through the maze? [Or does the new fan come with a harness making this question moot?]

I did get an email from someone in the same boat- so I took some pictures and gave a very brief synopsis at;

I don't know how long I'll leave the page up, so feel free to take pictures and text and repost or file away.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Seems that you are more persistent than we were. I will save this for future reference.

Thanks for the update and pictures.