Interior Rubber coating coming off on Audi Allroads 2002-2004 Models

This might be well-known, but I seem to fail finding anything about it. I've now seen about 10 used Audi Allroads between yrs 2002&2004 and all of them looked really horribly inside -- all the buttons and door handles had the black rubber coating coming off and showing a shiny black plastic underneath. Is this known in countries other than Hong Kong as well? Is Audi not doing anything about it, it seems that any single car in the local market here has this problem!

Reply to
HaJo

I am not sure exactly what you are talking about. But I have a 2003 A6 wagon which had a similar problem. In the arm rests there is a grip or handle used for pulling the door closed. A hard plastic surface which was part of this handle, the part your fingers would wrap around, was covered by a very thin rubber-like coating. In my car this thin rubber-like coating was disintegrating or shredding. This happened within the warranty period and all of the affected parts were replaced by the dealer. But it sure struck me as dumb design. The thin rubber coating is so thin that disintegration or shredding should have been easily predictable. I'll add that it wasn't really that noticeable. But I noticed it and it seemed to me that it shouldn't have happened and I wanted it fixed.

Bob

Reply to
eBob.com

This is exactly what I observed on all the Allroad Audis over here. However, not only the door handles are affected but also all the controls around the dash board, the climate control, ... In short, everything dark black which has this "rubbery" touch is disintegrating on all the Allroads I have looked at :-(

Will probably call up the local Audi dealer next week and see what they have to say. They don't seriously expect a 2nd hand market with all the cars having these faults and them only watching, do they...

To that I have a different opinion. It's quite obvious especially with the controls around the dash -- they are background-illuminated at night and since the rubber provides the icon-shape of the respective button, at night all the buttons are a bright red square with no symbol identifyable...

Reply to
HaJo

This is one of those well-known issues with the B6 A4's, and probably other models as well. I had it on my flip-up lighter, but since they don't make it flip-up any longer (i.e., if they replaced it, it would be with a fixed type, which I don't like) I just peeled off whatever I could and it doesn't appear to be any different now. I have heard that the dealer will only replace switches once, so if you bring a car in and get one replaced, then it happens again on another switch, they won't replace it.... I read this on audiworld.com, so take it FWIW....

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58