vent replacement

I have a 2001 S4 Avant. My problem is with the air vents in the center of the dash console. The leftmost of the three vents (the one closest to the driver, hence the most important one) doesn't stay in position while driving. If I adjust it vertically to the "detent" in the "vertically neutral" position, it won't stay in that position. This is an admittedly minor problem. The dealer is willing to fix it under warranty, however, and already has the part. I didn't realize, when I mentioned it to the dealer, that fixing it requires disassembling the center console. The question is, "Is it worth the risk of squeaks and rattles that might result when they reassemble the center console to install the new vent unit?" I don't have the shop manual, so I don't know how likely this is. Any advice?

Thanks.

-Alan

Reply to
Alan D. Falk

Alan, I'd avoid the major surgery - if you can see the pivots, why not spray something like a bit of belt dressing on the pivots? Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears

Are you sure about this "disassembling"?

I have a B5 Avant (model year 2001, built in Oct 2000, i.e. not the new B6 chassis). That centre vent set is very *easy* to pull right out of the dash, though remember there are wires for the small lights that have to be negotiated before the vent set is completely separated from car.

If you have the "old" chassis then repair/replacements of vents is very easy. If you have the "new" chassis then someone else will have to advise . . .

Hope that helps /Robert

Reply to
Robert

Thanks for the feedback, Steve and Robert. I've decided against the replacement. I'll live with some temporary solution, like a judiciously wedged piece of paper to hold it in place, rather than risk potential squeaks and rattles.

Thanks again.

-Alan

Reply to
Alan D. Falk