1994 BMW 530V8 - Nikasil

Hi

I am thinking about buying a 1994 BMW 530 V8 with 50k miles on. I understand that there is an issue about a possible Nikasil engine?

I believe the engine has not been changed - is there any test available to quickly check the vehicle. I know that BMW can do a test but obviously this requires the car to go to the dealer and I do need to travel to look at the vehicle! This is a private sale.

Thanks

Rainbow

Reply to
rainbowplus

Easiest is to check the casting numbers on the block. You will have to remove one of the covers below the engine to get a look at them.

Fred W

If it's not had a new block under BMW warranty, I'd find another car. There are plenty about, even cheap, clean, low milers too.

JB

Reply to
JB

If the car's been in regular use up until now and is running fine I can't see there will be a future problem. Nothing wrong with trying to negotiate the price down, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yebbut you do still hear of people having problems with Nikasil engines.

Reply to
adder1969

Even if the block has been changed, these cars go for minimal bucks anyway. If the chassis has only 50k on it I'll bet the engine is original.

Here's the real question... Is it an automatic? If so, walk away. The automatics in those cars need a fix installed that will cost almost as much as what you are probably going to pay for the car. If you don't install the fix, it will eventually get stuck in gear and reverse at the same time and self destruct.

Been there, had that, sold the car... before the tranny failed.

Reply to
Fred W

Not heard of an automatic funny - a link perhaps?

In any event in the UK such a car would cost ~£1-2k ($2-4k), so even if it does fail after say a year, you are still better off than if you bought a five year old one for say £10k and suffered 20% depreciation!

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Sure, except in the latter case you aren't afoot!

Reply to
Rex B

See section under 5hp30 problem areas

google on "5hp30 plastic ball" without the quotes.

Reply to
Fred W