1998 740iL Question - Urgent - Thanks In Advance

I have a 98 740iL (production date 05/97). I need to replace the coolant temperature sensor. Ordered and received the part from AutoZone today.

Opened the hood and I cannot find it (LOL) ... Nothing that resembles the part I have ...

Can someone guide to "exactly" where this "COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR" is located on a 98 (production date 05/97) 740iL.

I have attempted to find "schematics" on-line without any luck.

Much appreciated.

Thanks In advance, Cheers.

Reply to
zzz

What's shown in the picture is not the right engine. It is mine 540 but it is getting a 4.0L from a 740. Hope it gives you an idea where to look. Look between the rear of the engine and the firewall on the passenger side.

yaofeng

yaofeng you ARE a good man! We did not even bother looking at the firewall-end ...! Will tackle this tomorrow !

Reply to
zzz

I checked the ETK of your 740. It appears the two holes on the coolant distribution header behind the engine where I indicated to you are plugged which means the CTS's are moved somewhere else on E38. So don't be surprised you don't find it tomorrow.

If you provide the part number, I am sure others can tell you where to find it.

Reply to
yaofeng

See part #9 on this diagram...

You'll see the water pump its located on right on the front of the engine with the fan attached to it.

Kyle.

98 740iL 01 525i
Reply to
Kyle and Lori Greene

Kyle thanks for the diagram url ... you had this right. The part from the dealer with my BMWCCA discount $15.00

10 minutes to change ...

Happy to report that there is a ignificant difference in idling etc ... yes, check engine light gone too.

Appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Reply to
Sam M