1999 E39 Transmission question

To be fair, once the transmission has been fixed, the repair lasts far longer than the original part.

I have no idea what the failure rate is, but the ZF has a fatal error when it stops going into R. The GM5 just needs to be cleaned out.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

That's, the once the ZF transmission has been fixed ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Given the age of some vehicles fitted with this tranny, a recon would likely cost as much as the vehicle is worth.

BTW 'known issues' is your view, not mine. Every single component is likely to have a part which fails first. For it to be a 'known issue', you'd need to know what percentage fail with this fault - and the mileage too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You imply the GM lasts for ever. If so it's very different from any GM transmission I've owned.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unfortunately, there are no trustworthy rebuilders of ZF transmissions in the United States (IMO)

Reply to
Bob Smitter