Does propane change with age?

Does propane change with age? The web says No, but....

I have a can/bottle of propane that is at least 10 years old.

I'm using it as one of several ways to find the vacuum leak in my car.

I used it 2 years ago and got nowhere, but I'm being more diligent this time. I have an old valve to which I've added some windshield washer tubing, so that I can reach anywhere (although the curve that won't go away from the tubing makes it hard to get to some places).

But I'm used to propane having a strong, distinctive, maybe pungent smell, even just a whiff of it, and this stuff, Berzomatic brand. 14oz. fwiw in a tubular blue can (shaped like a salami), has barely any smell. In fact I wasn't even sure the valve was opening. Only because frost was forming on the valve (that screws to the bottle) was I sure something was coming out.

Also, when I didn't find a leak, I removed a small hose from the air cleaner box and I attached the hose from the propane bottle. Barely any change in the sound of the engine. Wouldn't have noticed it if I were not listening for it. Should I have attached it somewhere else? Or is propane just not a good test substance? I also have MAPP gas if you think that would work better.

This is somewhat complicated because these Toyota engines idle at

2000rpm to start and slow to 750 after 3 or 4 minutes.

So I'm rushing to test while the engine is cold and it's all the time lowering engine speed and changing the sound it makes anyhow.

40 years ago, I had a car that stalled if you didn't give it extra gas until it warmed up some. AFAIK, that car was considered in need of repair. But now it seems, with a microprocessor that can start with a fast idle (better or faster than the fast idle cam) and lower it later, Toyota just covers up this problem by providing 2000 rpm idling, instead designing the engine to not have the problem. Am I too cynical? Do other makes of cars do the same thing?
Reply to
micky

micky snipped-for-privacy@fmguy.com wrote

Not enough to matter.

That's an additive that's added so you notice a gas leak.

It wouldn't be surprising if some of the smell additives do age, but that doesn't matter for your use.

Yep.

Yep, coz plenty do better with a faster idle till they warm up.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Have you tried lighting it with a match?

Using a diamond brand kitchen match should provide a definitive answer. Caution, that air cleaner box may explode.

Reply to
Hank Rogers

Have you been tested for covid lately?

Reply to
rbowman

BernzOmatic propane should have the same "rotten egg" smell as residential natural gas. Both have Mercaptan added to give it the odor.

See the MSDS data sheet here

Anonymous