2006 530i, buying experience

Wife and I are considering buying a new 530i. We've scanned both KBB & Edmunds, and it appears purchase price points are generally $1K - $1.5K below MSRP. Is that typical with BMW? My previous experience with buying US domestic vehicles put us generally at dealer invoice or below.

Understood, that consumer demand drives pricing. And if demand is high for the 530i, expect to pay. I'm just wanting to calibrate my expectations among those who have recently purchased.

thx.

-Gregg

Reply to
daddy

What makes the several thousand dollar difference for 40 more horsepower worth paying for the 530 rather than the 525?

Reply to
bmoag

In addition to the 40 horses, you're also talking about 35 lb-ft of torque. Neither seem like alot, but at about 3500 lbs, these are relatively heavy cars to be pushing around.. I say, drive the 2 cars, and if you don't notice a difference, get the cheaper one....

Reply to
bfd

I drove both and the difference is impossible to overlook

Reply to
Mark Dvorkin

In addition to the 40 horses, you're also talking about 35 lb-ft of torque. Neither seem like alot, but at about 3500 lbs, these are relatively heavy cars to be pushing around.. I say, drive the 2 cars, and if you don't notice a difference, get the cheaper one....

I drove both and the difference is impossible to overlook

Then you know which car to buy!

Reply to
bfd

certainly something to consider. I'll try driving both. would like the extra horsepower nonetheless.

just curious to hear about your buying experience.

kind regards,

-g

Reply to
daddy

appreciate the feedback.

how did the purchase experience go?

Reply to
daddy

little more horsey seems the way to go.... :-)

Reply to
daddy

I was hoping to hear some buying experiences. Are the dealers moving "south" with regards to the sticker? I live in AZ, and would be curious to hear about purchases from the "3" Phx area BMW dealerships.

TIA

-G

Reply to
daddy

BMW doesn't have a holdback (typically around 2.5% of MSRP or base price) going back to the dealer. Some dealerships also have to pay a fee for group advertising. Except for incentives offered on last of model run cars (possibly E46 coupes and convertibles?) there are no hidden profits for the dealer. You should be able to find a car for about $2000-2500 over invoice in a major market assuming the market isn't hot. OTOH, I recall seeing an early E39 M5 for $25K over MSRP.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

You might want to post that question on Edmunds:

just read there a while.

Reply to
joe_tide

If you want to save money on a brand new BMW, you should check into their European Delivery (ED) program. Briefly, each BMW Center is allocated so many cars to sell each year. They need to make so much profit per allocated car to pay their bills etc etc. Fair enough. However, ED cars are "above and beyond" their regular allocation, so some dealers view this as pure gravy. ED cars in California typically sells for about $1,000 over ED invoice. Now, the ED invoice is about 7% below the normal U.S. invoice. The catch for ED is that, well, you have to go to Munich to pick up your car. Some folks make a one day trip to Munich, pick up their car and turn it in to the shipping agent there who makes arrangements to ship it back to your local dealer. The shipping and insurance is included in the purchase price.

For a base 2006 530i the prices work out as flws: USA MSRP: $46,800 USA Invoice: $42,770 ED Invoice: $ 39,610 to which you should add the $1K profit for the dealer, i.e. 40,610

(add destination ($695) and options to all of the above numbers)

Still, that is a $6K sav>

Reply to
Niels Petersen