525i 1992 Speedometer and RPM meter problem when cold outside

Hello all,

I've a problem with my '92 525i when the tempratures outside drop to around freeze point. The speedometer and RPM meter start jumping around, or stay at

20km/h 500 rpm. When the car has heated up and I stop it for 2 minutes or so the problem is gone.

Does somebody know what the problem could be?

Thanks and best regards, Marcel, currently at 341K km.

Reply to
Marcel Vollebregt

Replace the 2 'AA' nicad batteries on the dashboard printed circuit board. Fairly well documented procedure.

JB

Reply to
JB

It may be the bearings in the gauge not being lubricated well enough. It's a major pain to pull them and drop in a little oil but that may be what it needs. I had a similar problem with my speedometer for a while but it seems to have cleared itself.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Hello all,

I didn't find any batteries inside my dashboard. I did the following thing:

I replaced all electrolytic capacitors (6 in total), one measured bad the one close to the orange capacitor/transistor, not at the regulator.

It has not happended yet, so if it won't happen again troughout the winter. It's the fix.

Best regards for the response!

Reply to
Marcel Vollebregt