'91 735i AC NOT WORKING

Bought with dead battery. Does it need to be reset? The compressor is working, just blowing hot air.

Reply to
pinoytlp

I do not think so - a reset is applicable only on AC that is run by an electric motor such as a home unit - if it overheats it trips and you have to reset it. There are many things that could cause this, the most obvious (and easiest to remedy) in needing a refrigerant refill.

Reply to
Peter A

Please don't be angry. There is a solution. Just have a seat and consider what I've said. Pretend you aren't an idiot light person just for a moment. Ponder.. ponder.. ponder.. ok.. Now read.

You probably have any combination of a condenser and evaporator leak, with dryer/receiver and maybe cabin filter(probably didn't have one) replacement needed for flavor. This is assuming your auxillary fan resistor and blower motor don't need to be changed out as well. Keep in mind that moving parts under pressure for 15 years typically leak. Hell, a can of air leaks after 10 years.

You will need to go to an independent auto shop that you trust, and have them test for leaks. It will take 1.5 hours for initial check, and 2 days if the leak isn't obvious. But it will be obvious at 15 years.

Get an estimate of what needs replacing at that time, and buy the parts from bmaparts.com or rockauto.com or bavauto.com and bring it to the shop. Buy Behr parts. Get original equipment only.

They will have to rip your car apart if it's the evaporator, and you don't want to get ghetto. Also, keep in mind that you will probably have to do a conversion to 134a. 91 is during the time when we didn't mind cracking the molecules of the ozone layer into chlorine. They started caring around

93-94.

So in short, get used to the heat. Have 200 bucks on hand. Get an estimate of the damage from the shop. Buy the parts. Save up for the 8 hours of labor. And then get it fixed. Also,

is your friend. Use it so you make a horrific mistake in your newness.

I wish I had something better to tell you. But slow and steady pain is as good as it's gonna get until it's fixed. I wish you the best.

ER

Reply to
Enoch Root

I hate to tell you this... but every word he said is true. I hope you didn't think a new battery would somehow fix this problem! Maybe it was sold this way to hide the issue.

I spent about $1700 rebuilding the ac in my 540, all parts Enoch Root mentioned needed replacement. Start saving now and hope it can be fixed, you can't just do half, it is a huge task that needs to be completed by a real PRO.

Reply to
Sharkman BMW