Does the starter need to be installed for battery to power..

I just took out my starter and reconnected my battery because my windows were down and I dont get any power....does the starter need to be in and wired up for there to be power? im hopin i didnt screw something else up lol..Thanks!

(1984 cutlass supreme)

Reply to
1984CutlassSupreme

On some GM cars, the car buss power feed comes from a wire attached to starter power feed. No need to panic.

Reply to
SnoMan

"SnoMan" wrote: > [quote:e26c998175="1984CutlassSupreme"]I just took out my > starter and reconnected my battery because my windows were > down and I dont get any power....does the starter need to be > in and wired up for there to be power? im hopin i didnt screw > something else up lol..Thanks! > > (1984 cutlass supreme)[/quote:e26c998175] > > On some GM cars, the car buss power feed comes from a wire > attached to starter power feed. No need to panic.

lol thanks for the piece of mind....im learning as i go so every lil thing freaks me out.

Reply to
1984CutlassSupreme

BUT YOU DO HAVE TO WORRY. If the wire going to the starter touches any metal it will arc and melt the connector and anything around it as well as possibly blowing the battery. Get the ground wire off the battery and don't connect it until everything else is connected....

Reply to
Woody

In 35 years I have never seen a battery blow from this. (I have seen one blow that someone jumpered backwards though) Worst case here is it would burn off the terminal end long before it would hurt battery. Just put a sandwhich bag (or the like) around loose end by starter with a rubber band holding it and do not give it another thought.

Reply to
SnoMan

"SnoMan" wrote: > [quote:512a23bbfb="Woody"]BUT YOU DO HAVE TO WORRY. If the > wire going to the starter touches any metal it will arc and > melt the connector and anything around it as well as possibly > blowing the battery. Get the ground wire off the battery and > don't connect it until everything else is connected.... > [/quote:512a23bbfb] > > In 35 years I have never seen a battery blow from this. (I > have seen one blow that someone jumpered backwards though) > Worst case here is it would burn off the terminal end long > before it would hurt battery. Just put a sandwhich bag (or the > like) around loose end by starter with a rubber band holding > it and do not give it another thought.

thanks again......I put the new starter....2nd one this week in and it cranks up nice without any shims.....but I didn?t have the large nut on the starter solenoid completely tight so power was cutting on & off. But other than that, no probs. Seems to be cranking good. Thanks for all the help...i?m sure I?ll need more soon lol

Reply to
1984CutlassSupreme