'94 530i Oil Change Questions

I recently purchased a '94 530i and its time for an oil change. The problem is that I have no idea what oil to use. I've looked through the manual and it seems to recommend 15w-50. Now my car has a little over 140k miles on it so I would like to use what's best. If it matters, I live in Georgia so it gets fairly warm here in the summer.

Thanks for your help and sorry for such a novice question.

Reply to
grindstaffp

wrote

15W-50 is a pretty thick oil - probably just right for hot weather. Almost any oil that meets the specs for that year will work. It's some two-letter combination like "SF", "SG". Every few years it move up; current specs are "SJ" IIRC. Almost every can of oil sold currently is SJ or better.

BMW's come from the factory with a Castrol OEM oil. I use Mobil 1; however current cars use only synthetics and you should probably use a regular dino (non-synthetic) oil. If you change oil regularly, along with the filter, the brand shouldn't matter.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers