1994 530i has oil on spark plugs

I was changing the spark plugs for the first time on my 94 BMW 530i, I just got it about 9 months back, and this is mt 1st BMW so I wasn't sure what to expect. Well when I got the covers off I saw oil on and around the spark plugs and in the slot the spark plugs go in and was confused. I don't know whether it is supposed to be like that or whether it doesn't affect anything or whether something is wrong with the car and if so what is wrong with it? I just got an oil change like

4 days ago and was thinking that maybe thst has something to do with it because the oil on the spark plugs looked new. And after I changed the spark plugs it smoked quite a bit, but I figured that it was from the oil on the spark plugs that it was burning.I would really appreciate any help that I can get, I really hope that nothing serious is wrong with my car. Thanks alot in advance.
Reply to
txguy07

sounds like someone spilled some oil when filling up.

the smoke was from the oil going into the cylinders when you took the plugs out.

just keep an eye on things

Reply to
Stand Up Old

You need to change the valve cover gaskets unless it's just a tiny amount. This is a surprisingly awkward job on the V8. There's a good article on

John Burns

This is a common situation on the V8 engines. The rubber valve cover gaskets harden with age. You will need to remove and replace them. There is a large outer one and a smaller inner one on each head. Also each bolt has a rubber donut that will need to be replaced. It's not that hard of a job, just time consuming.

Reply to
Fred W

Reply to
Mike