Active Steering (3-Series or other)

I'm looking into getting a new 335i convertible (gotta love that hard- top) and wondered if anyone out there had opinions on the Active Steering option. I've read both good and bad reviews and would love some input. For instance, I've heard that it takes a few months to fully adjust to the driver, though this could just be salesman-BS.

Opinions?

-Alex

Reply to
Alex

Alex, my opinion is in the form of a question. What in the world would induce BMW, creators of the Ultimate Driving Machine, to take away some of the experience of driving with this abomination called "active steering". My advice: Forget it.

Bill

Reply to
billbickel

Drive cars with and without. I have not yet driven active steering, but suffice to say I'm skeptical that it's a significant improvement. It may well be a drawback, in fact.

Done right, cars steer just fine already.

Reply to
dizzy

A couple of comments:

1) maybe what the salesman meant to say was that it takes a few months for the driver to get used to Active Steering. 2) my friend has Active Steering on his two-year-old car. He says it removes a lot of the feel of the road, making the car's steering feel more like the GM detached-from-the-road paradigm.
Reply to
bjn