approximate E30 engine lifespan?

I know, depends how you drive, warm up, change the oil etc. but still,.. is there some kind of accepted ball park figure? Mine is a 1988 325, 2.7L Auto mostly driven short distances. It just turned 145k and there is a noticeable knock at cold start idle which goes away after the temp comes up to normal. The car has reasonable power, doesn't use excessive oil, runs smoothly and doesn't leave any smoke behind. Should I resist the urge to add Marvel Mystery Oil?

Reply to
cosmo

Interesting. Bearing knock cause by excessive clearance (wear) isn't really temperature sensitive. If heard at cold start up it usually disappears as soon as the oil pressure builds up. Until terminal. Might it be more of a tapping noise than knock? If so possibly piston slap or tappets which can vary with temperature. Neither of which too much to worry about. Bearings can be checked to some extent by doing an oil pressure check.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't! add that crap.

I agree with Dave, here. IME, bearing knock is *less* usual at start because the oil in the journals is so stiff. When my wife's '77 320i failed, you could drive it several blocks before it would start knocking. I'd look at tappets (adjust) and accessories before worrying about things. Do you have the A/C always on? Compressors knock quite a bit.

That engine can easily go another 100K miles.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

good, it was $6 a jug anyway,..

no, it doesn't work and it's ass kicking cold here .

wow, you mean without a rebuild?

Reply to
cosmo

For what it is worth: my '90 318i has 280k on the clock, does not use oil, runs great and have just some mild tappet knocking on startup. I am more worried that the rust will take her away than the engine fails.

Reply to
BBO