Re: towing with Ranger 2.5L engine/5speed manual

Just a quickie.... And No I wasnt drinking or smoking that day...

A friend of mine and I drove to Milford CT, and brougt back a 28ft Prowler trailer with his f-150 4.6L I think the towing capacity was about 5500 pounds.. ANYWAYS Brave little ranger to the rescue I was stuck back at his house and had to move this thing to get some things out of the garage, SO i dropped the trailer on the ball of my 90 ranger, Pulled the trailer out of the driveway about 15 ft or so, and backed it back in... Oh Yah the trailer weight was 5100# unloaded.... and I have a 2.3L I wouldnt go pullin it to a campground or anything like that, but was impressed with it for sure...

LitlJoe

I think you know what I though i said but are you sure what you heard is what i intended?

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-2351.public.lawson.webtv.net... ============================= and they say the spirit of adventure is loss in America...

did you have any smoke, beer, or a girl with ya?

nubbsmcfarkle .................

Re: towing with Ranger 2.5L engine/5speed manual

Group: alt.trucks.ford Date: Sat, May 3, 2003, 2:15pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Reece Talley) I had a 94 Ranger with the little 4 banger for over 180,000 miles. In that time I towed a number of heavy loads between Montana and Calif. Most were in the winter but a couple were in August. I never experienced any over heating or difficulty with the clutch. In fact, I never had to replace it the whole time. What you do need to be aware of is that you will have no power on hills at all and very little on the level. Figure that 50-55 mph will be tops on the level and 30 or so will be it on any real grade. There is a long haul on the way to Vegas that tops out at a place called Holleran Springs. This is a steep grade that goes on for several miles and rises from a few hundred feet above sea level to more that 4,000'. I towed a car dolly loaded with an 81 Ford Escort up that grade in August of 96. I kept the speed down to 35, used third gear and shut off the AC. It started to get warm about a mile short of the top so I turned on the heater. It was uncomfortable but I made it without having to stop. When I got into Idaho I had to pull that rig up a much steeper but shorter grade into the Targee national forest and then through West Yellowstone and into Bozeman. Some of this, especially the part through island Park was over 7,000 feet. Again, I made it but it was slow going with ZERO reserve power. I had to pull over a couple of times to let others pass. So, can you pull that trailer? Yes. is it going to be easy? No. Will it hurt the truck? Not likely if you use your head and don't take insane chances or push things to the limit. I sold the truck last May and it was still running fine, original tranny and all. The brakes though were a whole other matter. I went through several sets of pads, a change in both rotors and drums and more than three resurfacings.

-- R. J. Talley Teacher/James Madison Fellow NAR #69594 NRA #133073736 "Romeo Raabe" wrote in message news:3eb37c39$0$43848$ snipped-for-privacy@news.twtelecom.net... Even bigger concern would be stopping, but that weight you mentioned should not be dangerous. Just realize the stopping distance will be greater, and plan farther ahead. "thomas" wrote in message news:quisa.62031$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... Does anybody have any experience towing for long distances with the 2.5L engine/5speed manual combo? I know this isn't the most powerful setup, but when I bought my truck I was interested in fuel efficiency, too, as my last car was a gashog. Anyway, I'm contemplating moving with a Uhaul trailer (900lbs) and the truck bed. The move would be 1000 miles, mostly along I-5 in California, which for the most part is pretty flat. The owner's manual rates the towing capacity at 1600lbs for this truck. Assuming I stay at or below that, will I be OK? Or am I asking for trouble doing this? My assumption is that it would be very slow going up any hills but I'd make it without damage. Good assumption??? Any advice/experience would be appreciated.

Reply to
Joe G