Dealer thinks blonde is dumb

She always wanted a BMW, so I got her a 528it last Christmas. It's a very nice car.

So the rear wiper arm breaks at the car wash (quality of plastic and rubber parts on this car is crummy). I send her to the dealer (South Bay BMW, Torrance CA) to get the part. So the service guy tells her it will be $250 to replace it. In not so few words, she explained that she just wanted to buy the part, which she did for $28. It took me 10 minutes to replace it, if I had to do it again it could do it in 5.

The sad part is that there are probably many people, probably mostly women, who have paid $250 to have a wiper arm replaced.

Fortunately, I have never in my life had to take a car to a dealer for a non-warranty repair. Unfortunately, with this car, if some computer related fault occurs, I will have to take it to a dealer.

-jk

Reply to
jk

Since you're in Torrance you might want to check out Steve's We Service BMW Automobiles in Redondo Beach. They do good work and the last time I was there (about two years ago) they charged about $90/hour in labor. No, I don't work for them, but they're a great independent shop. e-mail me at vbalbert at gmail dot com for phone and address.

Reply to
Voinin

Might I suggest you seek out an independent BMW mechanic for non-warranty repairs. I gotta agree with you though, $250 for a wiper blade replacement is a bit steep -- about $200 more than the job is worth, if you ask me.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

So how do you replace the arm? The one on my wife's touring is starting to crack where the wiper blade fastens into it..

It isn't immediately obvious how the switch assembly that is over the arm comes off.

Reply to
admin