[SOLVED] 1993 Camry Antitheft Stereo Security

Hi, I have a 1993 Camry Wagon and I just replaced the battery. When I did so the stereo went into a security mode. The display just reads "SEC" right now. I know the 3 digit code to unlock the stereo, but I do not have an owner's manual anymore so I do not know how to enter the code.

Can anyone explain to me the steps involved in entering the code? Or is there somewhere I can obtain a PDF of the owner's manual or a scan of the stereo pages? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Jeff Van Boxtel

Try this:

Question The battery on my 95 Avalon was removed by my son and now the radio or CD player will not play. I have to the correct security codes but I have lost my owners manuel. Can you help me input the security codes so i can listen to the radio? the !2 disc CD changer quit working a long time ago but it would be nice to be able to listen to the radio. You haelp would be greatly appreceated.

Answer i believe that you use only the first 4 digits to input the code example code 5351 button 1 press 5 times button 2 press 3 times button 3 press 5 times button 4 press 1 time and after that you press the am fm button or tunner button sorry i can not help more

Or:

but with the key in the ignition on acc ...

the screen display SEC

push and hold the "UP" button on the right ...

that will then display _ _ _ ... 3 blank spots ...

input your code ...

then press and hold "SCAN" on the top left withing 10 seconds of completing the code

hope thats it ???

Suprathai Sep 12 2006, 10:17 AM Cool thanks, I'll try it tomorrow...I thought it was a bit more intensive then that. Something with holding down the numbers 1 and 3 and a bunch of other numbers. Anyways if it doesn't work then I'll be back. In the meantime...Thanks.

Cheers Suprathai Sep 12 2006, 10:52 PM It doesn't work sad.gif This is for a corolla conquest, headunit is different to the sportivos. Could someone help me out urgently please!! Plenty of karma to the person that helps out.

IT WORKED. I think your key needs to be on the 'ON' position also press numbers 1,2 or 3 to start entering the code.

Google is your friend!

Good Luck

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On my BMW, the code is entered by pressing the Station Select Buttons. On my cars, the buttons are numbered 1 - 6, and the code digits are all 6 or less. I simply press the buttons in the correct sequence to input the code.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I would like to caution you to NOT attempt to enter the code until you know the proper procedure. Back to my BMW example, if the wrong code is input, the system will lock out and stop allowing the input of any codes. When this happens, the ignition must remain in ON, but not START, for an hour or so to reset the Attempt Counter.

Obviously, Toyota and BMW might not do this the same way, but in the event they do, you want to avoid incorrect input of the code.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

On a Toyota, if you input the incorrect code too many times, the radio goes into lockdown mode and you have to take it to a dealer and pay money to get it unlocked. I would not attempt a BMW programming sequence on a Toyota.

Reply to
Ray O

Or is

NickySantoro

ok you have 4 shots before it goes in to HELP lock mode. You have like 10 seconds to complete the code entry. If invalid key is hit you'll get a temporary ERR.

  1. Make sure radio is off with ignition key to ACC
  2. while holding the "1 PROG" and the "6" button in, press and hold the PWR/VOL knob until "SEC" appear on the display
  3. press the "1 PROG" button while holding the "TUNE FF " button and the tape operation indicator will appear on display
  4. Input your id # by pressing the "1 PROG", "2 APS" and "3 RPT" buttons repeately. the "1 PROG" for first digit, "2 APS" for second, and "3 RPT" for third. So if # were 345 - pres 1 4x, 2 5x and 3 6x. If the disply goes to "---" while inputing, try again.

I didn't know about the 10 second limit - was too careful and locked mine up! Dealer wanted $80 to reset so its still sitting in garage. Was a really stupid antitheft feature - glad they dropped it.

Reply to
Wolfgang

No, it's a really good security feature, but not implemented so well

- it should be more intuitive. And it only got bad after the dealers decided to turn radio unlocking into a Major Profit Center.

The cars are getting old enough that they should ease up on the Unlock Code security concerns a bit, or they're going to annoy potential new car buyers. Do the unlock and clear the code for $5 or $10 and write the rest off to 'Goodwill'.

What was originally meant to stop thefts of fairly State Of The Art radios out of new cars is going to have a bunch of Transportation Car and Beater Car Owners (fourth and fifth owners that didn't know there even was a code feature on the radio, let alone what the code is) cursing at Toyota over having to replace the radio simply because they had a stupid car battery go dead...

Make them mad when keeping their old car running, and they will remember it when it's time to go buy their First Really "New" new car.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

In my case the dealer really turned me off --- he claimed he'd have to hook the computer up to it to unlock it. Even after I said NO you enter some key combo and then a code to reset it - he argued with me. Guess the key combo required is secret even to the dealer. ( I do have the supposed secret code - but not the key combo to be able to enter it). And this was the dealer from which I had purchased the vehicle years earlier.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Thank you everyone for your information and help.

Wolfgang, this seems to work, but after I enter the code do I need to press a final "enter" button? How do I tell it I am finished with the code? I tried waiting and it resets back to saying "---" Does this mean I have the code wrong?

Also you mention if my number is 3 to press the button 4x.. Did you mean 3x?

Thanks aga> ok you have 4 shots before it goes in to HELP lock mode. You have like 10

Reply to
Jeff Van Boxtel

Haha, nevermind.

The f> Thank you everyone for your information and help.

Reply to
Jeff Van Boxtel

You're welcome! Enjoy! If there's one thing I can't stand, it's driving without a radio! Merry Christmas!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B