E30 316i manual box, stuck in reverse gear

My friend's E30 316i 5sp manual is apparently stuck in reverse. He says it doesn't look like an external linkage problem. It went into reverse with no nasty noises, but just won't come out again. Is there any common causes for this? I can't get to the vehicle until the weekend but I'd like to be prepared in case it's a 'box-out' job. cheers, JB

Reply to
JB

I had this on an e36 but with 2nd. I had to hammer then I was able to use any other gear.

Reply to
adder1969

Had the same in my e36 - stuck in second. It was a box out and rebuild job but was much cheaper than a new box and also slightly cheaper than a second hand box. Turned out to be a broken selector fork, it had done

140,000 miles.

JB wrote:

Reply to
Ranger